Should I Grease My Ball

Elton

Serious question;

I am a complete towing novice and have just had a towbar fitted. Should I grease it at all, or leave it dry?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton, I usually put the grease in the part on the trailer and not on the ball, it's just the way I was shown years ago with the caravan and I stick with it. Don't think it makes much difference.

I wouldn't leave them both dry though.

Edited by David.W

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

Elton, I usually put the grease in the part on the trailer and not on the ball, it's just the way I was shown years ago with the caravan and I stick with it. Don't think it makes much difference.

I wouldn't leave them both dry though.

Cheers, David. Just LM grease, or does it require anything special?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Serious question;

I am a complete towing novice and have just had a towbar fitted. Should I grease it at all, or leave it dry?

G'day mate, virtually every second household where I live has a trailer boat and it would be 1 in 20 that greases the towball. The grease gets on to various parts of clothing, making it less than useful. I have had a trailerboat for over 15 years and never grease the towball. If you can, get an old tennis ball, cut a piece out to fit over the towball, when not in use.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

I just use normal grease, the stuff that is in ever garage.

The tennis ball trick is good but I have a proper cover, think it was £1.50 at a car rally

I agree with Bobj though, if you get the grease on your clothes (and you will) it's a pain.

Edited by David.W

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

I wouldn't bother greasing the ball itself. Just make sure the catch mechanism is greased. What is important is to grease the wheel bearings. You'll have to buy a grease gun to pump it into them.

Unless of course you have trailer with 'Alko sealed for life' hubs - then you have nowhere to put the grease!

The life expectancy of such hubs (for those who frequently launch into the salty stuff) is not good. They are great on caravans, but I would always recommend the older style hubs with replacable bearings (and grease) that you can do maintenance on.

Just my opinion and experience.

Bill

Unless of course you have trailer with 'Alko sealed for life' hubs - then you have nowhere to put the grease!

The life expectancy of such hubs (for those who frequently launch into the salty stuff) is not good. They are great on caravans, but I would always recommend the older style hubs with replacable bearings (and grease) that you can do maintenance on.

Just my opinion and experience.

Bill

quite agree with the older style much easier as you can srtip them down , i always greased the trailer hub not that much but a thin layer so not much grease

every couple of trips with my boat.

my caravan just check it if it needs it .

Just bought a trailer and the guy at the store said the same about the sealed for life hubs...not good for boats. A fact I find odd since several companies advertise boat trailers for sale with sealed for life hubs!

The trailer I bought has a spring powered grease cap so it actively repels water if it gets in. Not sure how good it is but will let you know in a year or so. :)

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Serious question;

Hi Elton If your tow hitch has an anti sway device built in the grease will ruin the friction pads (they work like a tiny set of brake pads that grip the ball) If not then any grease is good grease where salt is concerned