HI All : )

yakerbass

Hello all I have just dropped on AglersNet searching for a sit on Kayak, I was so impressed that I have registered : )

What a wealth of experience here, I am new to kayak fishing but not to fishing, and like a lot of others here I am looking for the perfect sit on kayak :wallbash:

Am I looking at the right one do you think ? Ocean drifter ( Angler ) ?

I am a biggish bloke :headhurt: 15.5 stone and 6 ft tall, that's why I am looking at the drifter due to its size, its one of the larger yaks out there

I live in Torbay (Devon) and I want to use it for close to shore Bass fishing :)

Any help would be appreciated :)

anglersnetsig.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst the Drifter is designed for the 'larger paddler', you have to bear in mind that over on the other side of the pond they do enjoy larger portion sizes and that size is a relative thing. I'm 6ft too and whilst a couple of stone lighter I think that the P13 would still be a good bet for you. Better still I think would be the P15 which because of its extra length and only marginally increased beam would be more economic effort-wise to paddle and whilst you may feel that you do not want to paddle far initially, within a short time this view is likely to change. There are many guys on this forum in your area and best bet would be to scrounge a trial paddle on both, you are unlikely to be short of offers !

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

Whilst the Drifter is designed for the 'larger paddler', you have to bear in mind that over on the other side of the pond they do enjoy larger portion sizes and that size is a relative thing. I'm 6ft too and whilst a couple of stone lighter I think that the P13 would still be a good bet for you. Better still I think would be the P15 which because of its extra length and only marginally increased beam would be more economic effort-wise to paddle and whilst you may feel that you do not want to paddle far initially, within a short time this view is likely to change. There are many guys on this forum in your area and best bet would be to scrounge a trial paddle on both, you are unlikely to be short of offers !

yakerbass

sort your personal messenger out

I want to pm you

cheers

stuart

Hi Yakerbass

I am 6'2" and weigh 16.5 stone. I took a drifter for a paddle and I found it to be a bit of a barge. I am totally new to yak fishing too and from the word go I thought I would need a big yak like the drifter untill I had a go in one. I decided on a Tarpon 140 which suits me down to the ground. I did look into the p15 but with the couple of issues with leaking and my inherent bad luck I decided against.

The guys on here who have p15 and p13 are well pleased with them, I'm sure they will let you know when they next log on.

As moonyaker said try and get a paddle on one before you decide on which one is best for you.

Have fun in finding your yak and take your time, it's the hardest step. Once you got it the rest is a breeze if you follow the advice given freely on here.

Have you looked at starvin marvins site yet, it is a wealth of information and there are some great pics of rigged yaks. http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/index.html

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Welcome YB

I agree with GB - a large size doesn't mean you need to paddle a barge. The weight capacity of most sitontops 13feet+ are usually 350lbs+.. enough for you and all your gear.

Try and paddle the models you are interested in first. Post up the ones you are interested in and you may get an offer to try one out.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Yakerbass,

I have a Prowler 15 and find its a great Yak to be with, very stable, quick and cuts through the water well. I am just up the road in Exeter so if you want to have a try drop me a PM and we can sort something out. They are quite a few of us in and around the South West two of which who live in Paignton.

Chrisw

welcome Yakerbass,

I had a sit in a P15 and felt a bit squashed in thats why I chose the perception freedom angler (AKA the Swing in OZ and America). Already rigged with rod holders and seat.

:)

Nemo,

Perception Freedom Angler

Sounds to me as though the p13 or the perception above could be ideal for you. The P13 has more butt space than the P15 and is an excellent all rounder and a great price. Just insist on a New zealand model. Both are definatley worth a try. The Tarpon 140 might also be worth looking at. Dont worry about stability all the above are very stable with proven track records. Many people buy too big to start with and end up with bit of barge that they then want to change. Further expense.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

The P15 should have enough butt space (the yak is a tad wider than the P13) but the cockpit is a bit shorter. Have sat in both. As you are 6ft you should be ok.. anymore and it could be a squeeze.. either way try before you buy.

Zzippy borrowed the Perception Freedom the other week. We both liked the tough looking plastic finish but the hatches seemed a bit small.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Wow what a response: ) thank you all for you time and effort some really good advise here.

I have taken the bones out of all you have said and this is what I am going to do

try and get a ride on the following p13,p15 & the Perception Freedom and maybe the tarpon 140 and then make a choice : )

Thank you all very much can't wait to get going

anglersnetsig.jpg