Anchor Rope

Elton

we had a sailing boat for fishing (amougst others),we used a sea anchor as well as a real one occasionally .those damn bilge keels at anchor kept the boat at an angle to the anchor first one way then the next when the wind and current was at particular angles.

the stangest boat we had was one made of polystyrene! foam with wooden internal structures, unsinkable and with a 20 horse on the back fast but it slowly got thinner as it left "balls" behind it ,it was for use on rivers with a little outboard but made a very stable platform at sea unfortunatly the petrol cap came off the tank whist loading it one day and it dissolved before our eyes ,we went home with what was left and burnt it in the garden,it didnt last long and probably brought global warming on a few years ,never seen so much flying soot in my life :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like Catchalot just needs a better capstan (or two). Maybe something like

anchor_bow_sketch.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Having been the fool who voluntered to put in the anchor on Davy's boat at easter on a late return I can honestly say he has one seriously heavy bit of chain on his boat! :blink:

It is aint it :D

I spent the whole weekend having major problems to anchor despite having no problems in previous visits...but then the conditions were extreme and I do believe that even davy broke free once...which is saying something considering the boat is set up for fishing there.

Mine only broke free on one occassion and that was due to sabotage by Mr Burret, he was along side me when one of the strong gusts hit so at that point my anchor was holding 1 and a half boats ;)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hiya,

Sounds like Catchalot just needs a better capstan (or two). Maybe something like

Yup that would be great, unfortunately a capstan that will do what I need will cost around £800 and that's a fair bit more than I have just now :(

As it is I'm probably quicker lifting the anchor with the alderny ring, then I only need to find decent crew that can retrieve and coil the rope quickly.. then we should be able to retrieve it faster than with a capstan :)

The biggest problem is the decent crew part ;)

Davy

It is aint it :D

Mine only broke free on one occassion and that was due to sabotage by Mr Burret, he was along side me when one of the strong gusts hit so at that point my anchor was holding 1 and a half boats ;)

I thought it would be my fault. :lol::lol:

The fact it was gusting to Force7's, wind with tide had nothing to do with it then :lol:

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

I thought it would be my fault. :lol::lol: /quote]

That's OK then, I'm glad you accepting the blame :P

The fact it was gusting to Force7's, wind with tide had nothing to do with it then :lol:

Totally irrelevant it was holding firm till you cam alongside, a more paranoid person would have accused you of sabotage since I was anchored up on the best mark :P

Davy

Davy - see my photo. Get a pair of those babies and NOTHING will move you until you are ready.

Ian - it can hardly be considered your fault that Davy opted to use inadequate anchors. He is totally to blame. Totally.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Davy - see my photo. Get a pair of those babies and NOTHING will move you until you are ready.

Yup they possibly would if I had a bigger boat to hold all the chain ;)

Ian - it can hardly be considered your fault that Davy opted to use inadequate anchors. He is totally to blame. Totally.

Well I'm still blaming Ian.. that's my story and I'm sticking to it :P

Davy

Hi Newt

He even insulted me in his earlier post by calling my boat half a boat when he said "at that point my anchor was holding 1 and a half boats" :lol:

No wonder they call him the unaproachable one :lol::lol:

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

He even insulted me in his earlier post by calling my boat half a boat when he said "at that point my anchor was holding 1 and a half boats"

That wisney an insult.. if I had wanted to insult you I'd have said 1 and a QUARTER boats :P

No wonder they call him the unaproachable one

Well we know that aint true, given that you approached me on your quarter of a boat and caused my anchor top pull out .. so there you have it now we know you are talking mince :P:D :D

Edited by Davy Holt

Davy