bread in ground bait

xiqual fish

This may sound like a novice question however here it goes. Is the purpose of putting bread crumb in ground bait purely to create a cloud in the water or does it have other purposes too?

There is a visual aspect to bread in Groundbait & also it has binding qualities. But fish do love the taste of bread as well, the yeast content is a great attractor.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

There is a visual aspect to bread in Groundbait & also it has binding qualities. But fish do love the taste of bread as well, the yeast content is a great attractor.

So using a substitute for bread i.e a diffrent substance that binds and clouds in a similar fasion wouldn't work as well becouse it wouldn't have yeast?

Not necessarily - biscuit is a popular and successful base for many groundbaits too.

thats good, time for a bit of experimenting then, shop ground baits seem to be a bit pricey if you consider what you can make your own for and from.

Apart from the fact they love it and never seem to get bored of it, it offers the fish a fine particle bait, sinks very slowly, has visual presence, doesn't overfeed the fish, has good holding power because it takes a long time to clear, creates a scent without being overpowering, has great binding qualities and most of all, it's cheap.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I used to add digestive biscuits into my groundbait mix. It has quite an oily texture when finely crushed, add to that, it also creates a good cloud when introduced into the water.

I used to add digestive biscuits into my groundbait mix. It has quite an oily texture when finely crushed, add to that, it also creates a good cloud when introduced into the water.

That's a good idea. You get the best of both worlds with digestives too. A bit salty and a bit sweet at the same time. Ideal too at this time of year, when the fish are still in limbo between savoury flavours and sweet flavours. It's a good compromise. I'll have to try that. A few packets of white label digestives from Asda methinks.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

add powdered baby milk to your groundbait. it gives a cloud around you bait and attracts a lot of fish. i use it mainly on clear waters. the fish seem to spot it better and move in to investigate. the fish dont seem to notice you hook or line aswell as its hidden by the cloud. they just take you bait without a care in the world.

84854438.png

So using a substitute for bread i.e a diffrent substance that binds and clouds in a similar fasion wouldn't work as well becouse it wouldn't have yeast?

Not at all X,

Yeast is a major attractor in bread but there are lots of other foodstuffs you could use as previous posters have said. Fishmeals work well as a base, there are lots of supermarket food powder products that are every bit as good as bread.

The opportunity to experiment is endless & thats a lot of the fun.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.