Antiseptics - which one?

I know this has been discussed before but by my reckoning not for about a year or so. I was wondering what the feelings are now regarding the antiseptics available from tackle shops (Klin-ik, Medi-Carp etc) versus alternatives such as Bonjela.

:fish:

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

Personally I use Klin-ik. When I first started using an antiseptic it was the only one that was readily available over the tackle shop counter, so theres the reason that I use it. I have not tried using bonjela although I may do so later this season when the Klin-ik is used up. I was also told that you can use Fryers Balsam in the same way but I am not sure if it's correct or not.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

You wouldn't use Klinik or Medi-Carp on your sore mouth.

Use the right formulated stuff for the fish.

Are we after saving pennies here?

You wouldn't use Klinik or Medi-Carp on your sore mouth.

Use the right formulated stuff for the fish.

Are we after saving pennies here?

The only reason you wouldn't use them is they are too pricey. Don't kid yourself they have been formulated for fish. They have just been repackaged to sell to carp anglers at very high prices.

Rob.

So what is the right formulated stuff for fish? As for saving pennies as far as I can see the Klin-ik and Medi-Carp are more expensive than some of the alternatives I have heard of. :unsure:

Edit - sorry Lilypad - got the wrong end of the stick with your post. :oops: I now realise you were saying not to use alternatives just to save money, to use the right stuff. I guess my brain was out of gear as it is now so obvious what you meant. I realise I have made myself look a bit of a dick but I hope you will all forgive me :cc_surrender:

Edited by cidermonkey

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

So what is the right formulated stuff for fish? As for saving pennies as far as I can see the Klin-ik and Medi-Carp are more expensive than some of the alternatives I have heard of. :unsure:

The only thing I would trust as formulated for fish would be the products you buy in Koi centres and the like and they are generally for specific diseases rather than antiseptics (and it's the latter we require). Don't get me wrong I am sure the carp stuff work and do a good job they are just not specially made for carp.

Rob.

If you are that convinced that you need to use one look to see if you can find out if your chosen "antisceptic" is oil or water based.Not going to do much good if its waterbased is it? as one "Carp specific" one is...

I have seen several well known carpers advise using various fish farming/keeping chemicals directly on wounds.This is a definate no no.Most of these chemicals are used by adding to the water the fish are in in ratios of parts per million! used direct and undiluted they are extremely caustic.

Personaly I dont think there is a need for any thing.Its just part of the "look how much I care for my carp" syndrome.I prefer to limit damage in the first place.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Have to agree with Budgie. A mate uses Klin-ik ( I think it is that one, it was a blue one anyhow), I brushed some on my finger the once and swooshed (I do like to use that word :) ) it the water, the majority of it came off straight away so god only knows how long it would stay on a carp that is brushing against weed beds etc.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

The only thing I would trust as formulated for fish would be the products you buy in Koi centres and the like and they are generally for specific diseases rather than antiseptics (and it's the latter we require). Don't get me wrong I am sure the carp stuff work and do a good job they are just not specially made for carp.

Rob.

You are correct about the Koi stuff but it has to be used under controlled conditions, so is actually useless for carp.

About the best you can do for a fish is to use a saline solution, this will kill most parasites and help with the healing of small wounds.

Carp rub up against all sorts of things so your "anti septic" is not going to do that much good except make you feel better.

The only antiseptic you need in your kit is for use on yourself along with some plasters incase you get any sort of small open wound (cut, graze etc).

Any sort of open wound can let germs or parasites into your blood stream if not treated and covered.

Weils disease can kill and how do you know its not present in the water you are fishing?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!