Knots for flourocarbon

Anderoo

If that works, it will solve the biggest problem I've always had with the palomar. In the springtime crucian fishing I had exactly the same problem, but in that case I wanted to tie a flouro hooklength to a little method feeder.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Does a figure of 8 knot work OK with flouro?

I don't think I could do a loop knot with the braid as it's so thin and needs to be doubled up, it would be impossible to unpick and loosen it I think.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

All,

The absolute key to getting a good knot with fluorocarbon is to make sure that your knot is NEAT and not sloppy. Meaning you can't have a strand of fluorocarbon overlapping where it shouldn't be overlapping and you must have a close to perfect knot as possible. It would be easy to have Steve's modification slip right apart (I think?)

Google "bass pro's go to knot" or something similar - most are using fluoro for everything except topwater.

Phone

The real problem is not the fluorocarbon but the tiny floppy braid. (I think that is a question?)

Phone - I think the knots you end up with are to all intents and purposes identical - all the line ends up in the same places before you tighten it, the only possible difference is the twist in the line making up the loop, but I don't think that's part of how the knot works.

Since I assumed that semi intelligent people were reading this I did not think I would have to explain that the rod would have to be re threaded , a new leader is being attached , or am I the stupid one ?

I honestly thought you were joking !

So let's get this right.

In the context of being out in a boat zander fishing - in autumnal or winter conditions, your semi-intelligent angler decides to replace a leader.

So take the lure off, take the leader off **, wind the line through the rings, take the spool off the reel (what do you do if you are using a small baitcaster rather than a fixed spool??), attach new leader to line (via the small swivel) with a spool-through-the-loop palomar, replace spool on reel, re-thread the rod, tie a new lure onto the leader (using what knot? - bearing in mind that a palomar will need either the shad or the rod and reel to go through the loop) and with practice you should be fishing again within - how many minutes ?

The mind boggles as to what a really intelligent angler might dream up.

In my unintelligent (or just bone idle) way, I just take the lure-attached-to-leader off, get a fresh lure-attached-to-leader out of my tackle box, uncoil it, and tie the main line (using six-turn grinner) to the tiny swivel I provided when I tied the rigs up at home. Even I can manage to be fishing again within five minutes.

Now to Anderoo's worries about grinners for fluorocarbon.

I have just tied a lure-with-Seaguar-13lb-leader-attached, to some 10 lb Power Pro via the small swivel mentioned above. Put on a leather glove with which to hold the line. Attached the lure to a bracket on the garage wall.

Gave several very hard yanks to simulate a series of heavy strikes - it hurt my hand even through the glove. The (grinner at lure end, palomar at swivel end) Seaguar did not fail, but I take the point, there is always the chance it might eventually succumb to a series of sudden shocks. Moral - if worried, replace the leader after each trip - or after X fish ?.

I then wound the Power-Pro round a bit of wood and pulled until something gave.

As one might have predicted, it was the 10 lb braid which went at the grinner knot to the swivel - which is what would happen if you got the lure snagged.

In practical terms, I think there is no need to worry about break-offs, the rods used should cushion even the hardest of strikes - Anderoo, have you actually had any break-offs with the gear described ?

** and of course once the leader and lure are off, you can pass the new leader with swivel attached through the Palomar's loop in the main line - no need to work from the reel end ! ...but you still have the problem of what knot to use twixt leader and shad........

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I was faced with this situation today, jigging through something in the depths covered in zebra mussels sheared the trace and it was very windy so the boat was rocking about. In the circumstances I decided to just use a carefully tied grinner and see how it held up. It was fine. I need to test it some more but hopefully my fears were ungrounded.

I too have a swivel permanently attached to my mainline and then tie on hooklengths as required. I've always used the trilene knot, on both braid and fluorocarbon, from 12 to 50lb bs, and have never had a knot fail on me. I like it because it's not only always been reliable, but is easy to tie.

http://www.animatedknots.com/trilene/index.php?Categ=fishing