new to fly fishing

CHEWY49

hi fly people.

i'm new to the world of fly fishing.

hope to get a set up very soon.

just a bit puzzled over a couple of things.....

what is the purpose of backing line?

how much do you need to put on a reel?

is it different to normal use fishing line?

fly line

how much fly line do you have to put on

leader

how long do you have this?

will normal line work,or not?

thanks for any help

IPB Image

Hi welcome.

Bcking line is used to back up the fly line.Fly line is generally something like 30 yds long,so backing is added to A help fill the reel B to allow running fish to run-otherwise you could end up with all the fly line out and bang.

Various types of backing available,from cheap to not so cheap :headhurt::) .

Leaders again vary in length.Possibly 9 foot a good starting point,but can go to 18/20 feet.My max is around 16 feet-thats as much as my standard of casting will handle :(:) .

Tapered leaders are available,again many makes and many tip strengths-depends on where you are fishing and how big the fish run.Tapered leaders help to turn over the fly-ie,in a straight line.

Only a personal thing,but i use Fulling Mill leaders and Fulling Mill fluoro line to add as tippets,also Drennan double strength as tippet.

Dare say you will get more info.

Good luck.

Guest franticfisherman2

Hi CHEWY49, let us know what sort of fishing you're going to be doing (eg. reservoir, boat, small still water, river, stream, saltwater etc.) and you should get some more help on rod type/length, line weights/profiles, types of leader material etc. If you're going to be fishing in the briny, Snatcher will send you some flies. (won't you Snatch :sun: ) :)

thanks Chuby for the reply :)

that has helped me a lot.

i'm sure i'll pick it up as i go along,.

i usually trot the worm on my local river (The Irwell at Rawtenstall, East Lancs), but saw someone flyfishing a short distance away catching 3-4 brownies to my 1.

I'll have some of that i thought, and decided i'm going to give it a try.hee

Hi Frantic :)

i'll be on the River Irwell mostly, although a local reservoir has started doing day tickets.

so i'll try that too one day.

can i change the name of the Irwell into the Briny ? :D

IPB Image

Hi Chewy

Before you start spending any money it may be worth while going along to a local day ticket fishery to have a chuck. Most small fisheries will rent the equipment for a nominal sum and many will give some basic instruction on casting, fly selection etc.

I know when I started I went out and bought all the wrong gear, ending up binning most of it. A chat with someone who new what they were doing could have saved a packet. :)

Whatever you do I am sure you will enjoy, there is nothing like watching a good trout come up and take a dry fly off the surface :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Hi Chewy

Before you start spending any money it may be worth while going along to a local day ticket fishery to have a chuck. Most small fisheries will rent the equipment for a nominal sum and many will give some basic instruction on casting, fly selection etc.

I know when I started I went out and bought all the wrong gear, ending up binning most of it. A chat with someone who new what they were doing could have saved a packet. :)

Whatever you do I am sure you will enjoy, there is nothing like watching a good trout come up and take a dry fly off the surface :)

With Sportsman on this. Of all of all the angling disciplines, fly fishing is the most confusing initally and its so easy to buy the wrong stuff. Its also the hardest discipline to learn from scratch. A few hours with a decent coach will get you up and running faster than a few days of frustration learning to put the kit together AND cast without help.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

sorry for the late reply

i was just going to get one of them "starter kits"

West Midlands Angling Centre do a Pro-Performance kit for around the £50 mark.

was going to look about getting one of them.

Don't think i'll bother unless they're any good and recomended.

as for local tuition, i'll have to lookk into that.

There's a few reservoirs near me ,and a couple of trout fisheries.

One must do a lesson or 2 :)

IPB Image

sorry for the late reply

i was just going to get one of them "starter kits"

West Midlands Angling Centre do a Pro-Performance kit for around the £50 mark.

was going to look about getting one of them.

Don't think i'll bother unless they're any good and recomended.

as for local tuition, i'll have to lookk into that.

There's a few reservoirs near me ,and a couple of trout fisheries.

One must do a lesson or 2 :)

The problem with cheap starter kits is first off they are not nice or easy to use, so may well put you off before you really get started and secondly if you do persevere and find you like it you will almost certainly want decent tackle, and you could have put that 50 quid toward a decent rod and line.

I always get the impression that these kits are made up of tackle they couldn't sell any other way.

See if you can get a lesson at a fishery, they will almost certainly have a half decent rod or two to try and can give you good advice

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/