THAT'S BIG

Bobj

A barramundi, caught in Tinaroo dam, on the Atherton Tableland behind Cairns, far north Qld., measured 1.32 metres and is estimated to weigh over 80 lbs. It was too big for the landing netand ripped it, so could not be weighed and was released after the obligatory photo(s). :thumbs:

097056.jpg

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Well done that man. Tinaroo is suposed to be a seriously hard water but it certainly contains some monsters.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Whooooo wheeee - that is one impressive fish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well done that man. Tinaroo is suposed to be a seriously hard water but it certainly contains some monsters.

G'day mate, the dam used to be a barra paradise, due to the number and quality of fish caught. A few years down the track and the number of big fish caught became almost legendary and in the last few years, it has had the reputation of being a "hard" dam to fish due to the relatively few fish caught, as you say.

There is a group of locals who have started stocking the dam with 30 cm barra and, apparently, the fishing is coming good again.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

There is a group of locals who have started stocking the dam with 30 cm barra

30cm Barra are BAIT for things like that !

I've been bust up by unstopable Barramundi in India. The biggest was guestimated at about 35 - 40lb (it was seen making several jumps) but none of them were even in the same league as that fish.

I once met an Aussie who had a photo of himself with a truely awesome fish and he was telling anyone that would listen that it was the biggest Barra that he or anyone he'd ever met had ever caught. I looked at the scales and said (quietly) that it looked a lot like a Nile Perch to me. He just winked and carried on BS'ing his mates.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

30cm Barra are BAIT for things like that !

I've been bust up by unstopable Barramundi in India. The biggest was guestimated at about 35 - 40lb (it was seen making several jumps) but none of them were even in the same league as that fish.

I once met an Aussie who had a photo of himself with a truely awesome fish and he was telling anyone that would listen that it was the biggest Barra that he or anyone he'd ever met had ever caught. I looked at the scales and said (quietly) that it looked a lot like a Nile Perch to me. He just winked and carried on BS'ing his mates.

The nile perch have been caught on rod and line, weighing in at some enormous figures (136kg) A number of fishos want them introduced to Australia but, I believe, the authorities rightly told them to ping off.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Yeh, I read that they were thinking about it a while back because rampant overfishing had caused a crash in Barra numbers - particularly in queensland.

Quite why they thought that one Lates specis would survive where another failed is beyond me.

Thankfully they introduced sensible bag and size limits instead and started stocking the impoundments with native fingerlings the Barra have largely recovered on their own.

Payara in the Tully river though. Now that would be an interesting introduction.

Payara in the Tully river though. Now that would be an interesting introduction.

Unfortunately, the "powers-that-be" have declared a certain Australian native fish, noxious in certain dams and rivers....the humble barred grunter. What chance for a decent toothy fish?

payara11.jpg

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.