Whats done this damage?

Severn Wolf

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its obvious to me that they are being taken ilegally for the dead bait trade............................

Seriously though it is quite common on waters with large swan populations.Just that if it doesnrt happen close enough in to see then you would never know!

Maybe AT will run a story about it and offer a large reward?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Severn Wolf,(i'm not trying to be funny) Are there any swans/ducks on this lake ? (as they're not called swan muscles for nothing) as both birds will dive / scourage for them in the silty bottom bring them up and then when they have enough break them usually near the top end and shake out the mussel before eating them.

Swan mussels, swans.......obvious really eh!

We do have a pair nesting on the lake this year so that would be the probable cause :headhurt:

The thing is that the birds are nesting right at the opposite end of the lake and I haven`t seen either of them down this end as yet, let alone feeding.

Just to carry on for a sec, how do carp actually eat swan mussels? I know friends who have had fish pass shell parts after capture but I would have thought that even with the size of the fish concerned its still one colossal mouthful if they are taking them in one go and crushing the shells in their throat teeth.

wolf.gif

Just to carry on for a sec, how do carp actually eat swan mussels? I know friends who have had fish pass shell parts after capture but I would have thought that even with the size of the fish concerned its still one colossal mouthful if they are taking them in one go and crushing the shells in their throat teeth.

Maybe they recycle the crushed up stuff until it's *well* crushed? In effect, chewing.

On a similar note, I've often wondered how big pike pass the bones of smaller pike they've eaten, especially the skull.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Painfully I`d reckon! Interesting point.

I read somewhere that sharks don't pass the bones, they just puke them up when the time comes. They only pass the sludgy remains of the digested flesh, half-digested swimming trunks etc * :yucky:;)

Wonder if pike do this too?

* unreserved apologies for offending shark lovers by perpetuating the man-eating story. Sharks are remarkable creatures that just have a living to make. Anyway, apparently they're prone to spitting out humans altogether because of the lack of fat. Unless the human is very fat, which can be a problem for those in Florida and Southend-on-Sea.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

You beat me to it Glenn! It is indeed an interesting point.One Ive never given any thought to.Cant remeber it ever been brought up on any of my courses/lectures.

Ive seen evidence that several species can pass crayfish shell but have always assumed that a pike wouldnt be able to pass the skull of a stockie rainbow or other pike.I dont know that the digestive juices would be strong enough to dissolve bone.Maybe they do regurgitate bones that are to big to pass like owls do? I just dont know

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!