sanfier hoe

sam-cox

Anyone got any info? please.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing coming out when I was down there last Friday, but there was whitebait about.

Towards Folkestone a number of people were lure fishing but only one tiny bass was caught.

No sign of any mackerel.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Anyone got any info? please.

Yeah, it's spelt "Samphire Hoe" and it's in Kent and I have heard you may as well empty the contents of your tackle box over the side to save yourself a few hours! Although floatfishing is ok.

Edited by DoubleShotDamo

Tackle graveyard, I had a walk along it once, talking to some anglers, in the summer. Not one fish all day for most. I thnk I would fish straight down the wall, trying different levels. Fish are attracted to a wall, full of food in the weed. No point in casting. Or... the beach at the far end looks promising.

You have to pay to fish and park.

I had it in mind as maybe a large crab bait dropped close sitting it out for a good bass mark. Could this be possable?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I had it in mind as maybe a large crab bait dropped close sitting it out for a good bass mark. Could this be possable?

Hi Sam,

One trick used down here when wrasse fishin is to use a length of cycle inner tube filled with sand as a weight. It works for the most part as its too big and flexible to snag. Trouble is that marks like Samphire are probably festooned with lost gear which is probably the biggest problem.

The other bit of end tackle that snaggs is the hook of course and I now fish circle hooks far more often on rough ground than I ever used to. I have long felt that its the hook that snaggs and not so much the weight. I even have a hair rig set up for peeler where i do the crab with fine elastic bands and then loop it onto the bend of the hook. No good for power casting but its good for 30 yrds which is where the decent fish are anyway.

Cheers

Andy

A few bits and pieces form my visits.

At the foot of the wall that you fish from are large numbers of huge boulders which are sure to be full of fish but a nightmare to try to fish. I would have thought a float or freelined bait would be the way to go close in. I have caught a few small bass fishing sandeel or rag next to the boulders under a float.

I have seen a local expert plugging for Bass his method was to use a 12ft long rod. And walk a shallow diving plug up and down the wall late or early.

Except for Mackeral I have never caught much there except when I have been there early or late.

It can be a briliant place to catch Garfish using a beefy match rod. If you can get on the down tide corner it is great fun to trot a float 100 yards. Again my best catches have been crack of dawn jobs.

There are some areas where bottom fishing is viable. I cant remember the peg numbers but a google search will help,s I found refference to them there some time ago. Also if you give it a good chuck and retrieve like mad it is possible to avoid snags but like I said the bottom of the wall just looks so fishy why bother.

Yeah, it's spelt "Samphire Hoe" and it's in Kent and I have heard you may as well empty the contents of your tackle box over the side to save yourself a few hours! Although floatfishing is ok.

Nice one DSD, bet you googled samphire before you posted :lol:

Chuck a plain lead out with a FS reel, then sure, your in touble.

Sam, i plan to fish at the HOE a couple of times this summer, i'll try and put some dates on it ASAP.

Brilliant venue, sod the feathers & float brigade.

Have fished it the last 3-4 years with little tackle loss, and a fish a cast.

:thumbs:

025625.JPG

B)

1509tarpon_75_.gif