Second Car Insurance

Rusty

I'm looking to buy a cheapo 4x4 fishing wagon for winter excursions, my everyday car won't get to where I want to be. I've got the Volvo insured with M&S but they didn't want to know about adding another car to my policy, they suggested that I took out a new policy with them stating zero NCB for the second car as my existing NCB has been applied to the Volvo policy premium.

That didn't sound right to me, I can only drive one car at a time but that argument fell on deaf ears. I'm sure in the 'old days' you could add another car for a nominal fee provided it didn't pose a much higher risk.

Am I living in the past?

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Not usual on standard policies these days, I'm afraid. You could look into multicar policies at renewal. Admiral will let you start one with one car and add another when it needs renewing. Also some insurers will mirror NCB to another car.

Thanks for the responses,

Tried Aviva but their quote wasn't that different from taking out a separate policy, most results come out at an extra £250 to insure the second car (old Suzuki Jimny), a bit galling when I'm only paying £180 fully comp, protected NCB etc for the Volvo. It's the NCB only being applied to one car which kills it.

I'll research the mirroring approach.

Have you tried NFU Mutual for your 4x4. When I had my Land Rover I used to get full comp with business use for about £110 a year.

http://www.nfumutual.co.uk/personal/insurance/Our-insurance-products/motor-insurance/4x4-insurance/

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Have you tried NFU Mutual for your 4x4. When I had my Land Rover I used to get full comp with business use for about £110 a year.

http://www.nfumutual.co.uk/personal/insurance/Our-insurance-products/motor-insurance/4x4-insurance/

Thanks Cory, I like their approach. No online faceless quotes and a branch half a mile from me. I can go along, explain what I want to do and present the image of being a fine upstanding citizen. It's worth a chat.

Thanks Cory, I like their approach. No online faceless quotes and a branch half a mile from me. I can go along, explain what I want to do and present the image of being a fine upstanding citizen. It's worth a chat.

I'm sure you'll get a good 4x4 quote from them, especially if you live close to the local branch. Get yourself some olive wellies and boroow a collie dog for the day ;)

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote