Great service from B&Q

Steve Burke

Earlier this year we bought a kitchen from B&Q. Their prices were considerably less expensive than their main competitors (although to be fair MFI dropped their's by a third - but only when shown the B&Q quote). Unlike at other shops we could totally mix and match all the units and accessories from a huge range.

The staff at our local branch in Ashford were extremely helpful and cheerful. These reasons alone were enough to subsequently use B&Q for the new kitchen at Wingham.

However, our delivery was delayed by a fire at one of B&Q's central warehouses. This was inconvenient as we had all the people involved booked around that date. However, it wasn't B&Q's fault and the staff at Ashford borrowed units from other branches, leaving only items that we could retro-fit outstanding.

Imagine our surprise when out of the blue this morning we unexpectedly received a cheque for 10% of our kitchen!

OK, the insurance company would probably have covered the cost under the loss of profits claim. However, B&Q could simply have pocketed this.

So many thanks to B&Q. We know where we'll be shopping in future!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Earlier this year we bought a kitchen from B&Q. Their prices were considerably less expensive than their main competitors (although to be fair MFI dropped their's by a third - but only when shown the B&Q quote). Unlike at other shops we could totally mix and match all the units and accessories from a huge range.

The staff at our local branch in Ashford were extremely helpful and cheerful. These reasons alone were enough to subsequently use B&Q for the new kitchen at Wingham.

However, our delivery was delayed by a fire at one of B&Q's central warehouses. This was inconvenient as we had all the people involved booked around that date. However, it wasn't B&Q's fault and the staff at Ashford borrowed units from other branches, leaving only items that we could retro-fit outstanding.

Imagine our surprise when out of the blue this morning we unexpectedly received a cheque for 10% of our kitchen!

OK, the insurance company would probably have covered the cost under the loss of profits claim. However, B&Q could simply have pocketed this.

Steve have just one thing to say "You were VERY lucky!" My experience in around 8 years of fitting kitchens is a VERY different tale. I fit kitchens for B&Q also, well actually I didn't I did ONE!! Took me 5 days to do a two day kitchen and of that 2 days to re-plan it 3 to fit!!! (Found it just TOO difficult to fit a worktop in front of an open fire!!!! And this was after a SITE survey!!!) Was told it paid £550, but after tax and NI and payment to the man who got me the job?? I ended up with £225!! Even though I was certificated for tax!!

The fitting around here is "farmed" out to Gangs!! And they pay appaling wages so much so that fitters need to be "Fitting" around 3 to 4 kitchens a week!! Thes are NOT fitted kitchens at all but merely kitchens that are thrown at a wall!!

But Steve I know you as a VERY honest person and am glad that this one ended well. And feel you have found the obvious jewel in the crown where you are. Perhaps I should recommend your store to all the unhappy people around Halifax/Brighouse/Bradford/Huddersfield who's kitchens I have attempted to rssurrect over the years!! ;)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I bought a kitchen from B&Q last year.

We had the lady come round and plan it out for us.

The day arrived when the kitchen was being delivered and to my surprise there was only one thing wrong, the sink was a horrible green and not the champaigne we ordered. B&Q went out of there way and got us another more expensive sink and let us have it for the same price. Also when the kitchen was being fitted one of the worktops was damadged and we had to wait for a new one to be delivered which they gave us our money back for. Then we find out that the Lady who planned it did not order enough tiles so we had to go and get another £200's worth at no extra cost to ourselves seeing as it was there mistake.

The fitters were superb and did a fantastic job, and to top it all off we ended up with a few bits left over which we were told we could take back to the shop for a refund.

All in all we ended up with a saving of over £500 on the original price we payed, so i have to say B&Q were very good to us, and i would happily do business with them again.

Steve

Blimey, either B&Q are losing money hand over fist if this sort of thing happens very often, or the markup on their original prices must be enormous....

Blimey, either B&Q are losing money hand over fist if this sort of thing happens very often, or the markup on their original prices must be enormous....

I think they make all there money on the fitting costs.

The kitchen cost us about £1500 but to have it fitted aswell cost us £3500 in total

minus the £500 we got back.

Steve

Edited by Steve Deverson

Quite possibly Steve, although we didn't use the B&Q fitting service as friends fitted the kitchen for us.

Some of the doors can be very inexpensive - such as a fiver each! I suspect that these ranges are low profit or even possibly loss leaders. The carcasses though may be where they make their money. Additionally, if you buy a kitchen from B&Q you're more likely to buy a lot of the accessories from them - I know we did.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

DavyR - It is nice to hear people praising companies, it's doesn't happen that often. Please don't knock them!

Who's knocking? :blink:

It's standard practice for a lot of companies to pitch prices so that they have plenty of leeway for discounting. Double glazing, for example, must be one of the very few products for which customers have to haggle over price because they won't give you a breakdown of what they're charging per item.

I was just wondering if B&Q were being more generous than their competitors or not.

Additionally, if you buy a kitchen from B&Q you're more likely to buy a lot of the accessories from them - I know we did.

I must admit we bought all our accessories from them aswell and have no complaints at all.

Incidentally, before we went to B&Q we had a look around an HKS showroom and the prices they are charging will make your hair curl, a standard kitchen will cost you the best part of £15000.

I think if you had one of there kitchens then you had to have all of the appliances aswell, which were top of the range of course.

We walked straight out and went straight to B&Q.