More Hurricanes - now Hanna is looming

Newt

We have company due in Thursday - an angler from a few thousand miles away - and we had plans to do a little relaxed carping Saturday. A friend in South Carolina has a great place for carping and she had planned to go there Friday and bait up then meet us Saturday.

Well oops!! Probably not. Having a hurricane pass over the lake would not only mess up the fishing but would make it hard to hang on to our gear.

hanna-2.jpg

To make life even more interesting, Tropical Storm Ike is now moving this direction. Hanna most likely won't be super large but Ike was born in the Cape Verde area and that is where almost all the really huge hurricanes are born that travel to make a hit on the East Coast rather than via the Gulf. To be a TS while still that close to Africa is impressive.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it changes course and is quick to loose some of its power so that not too may are affected by it.

Will keep an eye on this thread, good luck, time to 'batten down the hatches' :o

Take care

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

We have company due in Thursday - an angler from a few thousand miles away - and we had plans to do a little relaxed carping Saturday. A friend in South Carolina has a great place for carping and she had planned to go there Friday and bait up then meet us Saturday.

Well oops!! Probably not. Having a hurricane pass over the lake would not only mess up the fishing but would make it hard to hang on to our gear.

Ah you wuss, fishing in to a stiff breeze is the best kind of fishing ;)

More seriously though it ain't worth the risk. I fished in the teeth of a large storm that toppled the oldest and largest oak tree in the county whilst I was there. It was so windy I never even heard it go, just noticed the large gap where it used to stand !

Rob.

P.S. Hope this time next year is quieter in that part of the world. I'm getting married in early Sept 09 and planning on holidaying in florida for 2 weeks !

Well, late August and September are the most active part of the hurricane season Rob.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hang on to your hat! No seriously, stay safe & keep updating the progress of these storms
One can track them oneself, I use Google Earth, with some of the weather tracking tools from the Google Earth Blog, but there are many other methods.

TStorms.png

tstorms2.png

I like Google Earth because it lets you zoom in on the action.

tstorms3.png

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Wow, did`nt know you could do that, not gonna get any work done now! :D
If you like playing with Google Earth the blog is worth a visit. There are hundreds of kml and kmz files on there that you can download.

The weather overlays can be downloaded here.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote