Tench baits and additives

Kappa

Hi all I'm trying to make a very hard boilies type bait to avoid crayfish on a water I'm planning to fish. However I can't decide what flavours etc to include. I'm hoping to use natural ingredients so can you possible give me any ideas also to your favourite tench baits and groundbaits and additives etc..

Rich

Ive noticed that as long as you fish over quite a large bed of bait Tench aint to bothered if you pop the hook bait up quite a long way.Ive caught them on this presentation (whilst targetting carp) up to 10" off the bottom.Might be away around the Crays without having to spoil your bait by making it rock hard? If you can live with a rock hard bait just microwave your hook baits.They will float but are rock solid for quite some time before the water softens them again.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi all I'm trying to make a very hard boilies type bait to avoid crayfish on a water I'm planning to fish. However I can't decide what flavours etc to include. I'm hoping to use natural ingredients so can you possible give me any ideas also to your favourite tench baits and groundbaits and additives etc..

Rich

Air drying boilies will harden them up, try something like "tutti frutie", dunno why but Mr & Mrs Tinca seem to like the fruity baits at a lot of the waters in my area. Maybe something radical like breadflake may be worth a try, as I cant imaging the crayfish really going for it.

Good luck, berluddy crayfish are a PITA mate and no error. :angry:

Best Fishes

Zaph'

--------------

http://www.tenchfishers.net

Zaphods just 'zis guy, you know..!

Erm do you use an unhooking mat?

:angry:

He'd need an unhooking carpet to lay that lot on :blink:

Seriously, to follow on from Budgies point about fishing off bottom for tench. I read years ago about the effects a tenchs big fins have on the bottom of a lake. When they move about big swirls of bait must rise in the water. If your bait is 6ins or so off the bottom, then the tench take it as one of the baits that has been lifted. I have caught using this method, when I have had a shoal in the swim. Another thing I have tried with success, is when ground baiting, throw small balls in trails radiating out from your main groundbait area, the idea is that the fish will find these trails and follow them into the main feeding area.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John