No More 2-Strokes

Elton

I have a 115Hp Merc OptiMax (new style 2 stroke similar to the Evinrude one spoken about earlier). Much lighter weight than the 4 stroke and has lots less down time. Very easy on fuel. Meets all the California standards although a standard 2 stroke cannot.

Cost was about half-way between a standard 2 stroke and a 4 stroke.

I bought it since I was afraid that by the time I was ready to sell the boat my area would have gone with the same regulations as California where the older high-emmision 2 strokes cannot be sold. Now that I've run it am very happy that I did not opt for a 4 stroke or for an older style 2 stroke.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mats (muttley) Merc 60 four stroke is so economical, we did 35 miles for 3.5 gallons on saturday. On other days we have got 55 miles for 5 gallons I dont think elderly 2 strokes can touch modern four stroke engins.

However from what I have read and been told the altra modern two strokes are catching up fast.

3.5 gallons will last me all summer! (its a 5hp 4 stroke Honda) I think it runs on atmospheric oxygen, cos I never have to fill the tank up!

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

All legislation of this sort are lead by the americans and their Enviromental Protection Act. Particularly the Californian act which are the toughest regulations as regards emissions anywhere in the world.

Dave, They have been world leaders in this sort of thing since time began...try and have a smoke in the street over there...I was first over in 1990, and been a few times since........and you couldnt smoke in the pubs then...whatever happens there... WILL eventually happen here.......TRUST ME........ which is a good thing to my mind... :D

They were also one of the firsts to start with VAT, tho they called it a State Purchase Tax...... :blink:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

but why is it so difficult toget a diesel O/B? very economical, no electrics, very reliable.

ok the down side is that they are heavy and noisy and not well suited to speed boats but they are ideal for pottering about boats

but why is it so difficult toget a diesel O/B? very economical, no electrics, very reliable.

ok the down side is that they are heavy and noisy and not well suited to speed boats but they are ideal for pottering about boats

I think the reason is that to offset the extra expense of buying and servicing a diesel outboard engine you would need to do a huge number of running hours.

but that is one of the joys of diesels there is almost no servicing

my diesel car has run for 150 000miles with only an oil and filters change evey 10 000 miles*

at an average speed of even 30mph this is equal to an oil change, filter change and a fuel filter every 300 hours total cost less than £40 and its all easily diy-able!

compare that to a two stroke or a four stroke petrol engine it would hardly keep you in sparkplugs for 300 hours use.

*plus 2 timing belts not diy-able well not by me any way.

The water taxi for the yachties here uses a 28hp Yanmar diesel outboard as its so economical.

Its also bigger and heavier than my Etec90 though so I dont think you would see many on a modern fast fisher.

Or maybe you would need many but then you'll sink!!!

Edited by AlderneyBassman

The water taxi for the yachties here uses a 28hp Yanmar diesel outboard as its so economical.

Its also bigger and heavier than my Etec90 though so I dont think you would see many on a modern fast fisher.

Or maybe you would need many but then you'll sink!!!

Well you could always burn Diesel, just not in a piston engine. A US company, MTT has developed an outboard based on a Rolls Royce Allison 250 series gas turbine ( a helicopter engine to you and me) here is a snippet from a press release.

The lightweight, 320-horsepower outboard is being tested on a 26-foot aluminum hull landing craft built by Munson Boat Works. The 4.500-pound boat, loaded with four people and a Jeep, reportedly runs up to 40 mph.

For the terminally insane, lottery winning, motorcyclist the same firm has developed a road bike with the same power plant. Awsome. 286 bhp at the back wheel and 425 ft/lbs of torque @ 2,000 rpm, I want one.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Sounds like they could use the inventor of this Gas Turbine Beer Cooler as a consultant.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sounds like they could use the inventor of this Gas Turbine Beer Cooler as a consultant.

Some people are just nuts. :):):)

I for one will not lament the passing of dirty, smelly two-strokers.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote