Kayak and roofrack quandries

Grant

So after two years of using my inflatable kayak (an Airhead), I am finally taking the plunge, and getting a hard kayak.

here in Jersey, they seem to offer the Bic kayaks (which I know little about), or Ocean Kayak's (which I know a little about).

Looking at the Angler editions, I was thinking of the Caper, as it is a lot lighter than a Prowler etc, and I have to be able to lift it on my own. Is the Prowler really that much faster and better?

Ialso have to think about transport (the inflatable fitted in the boot!), and being honest, am being a tart about this!

I have an Audi S3, which I am happy to put roof bars on, but not so keen on the J bar on the roof all the time. Do people use foam pads, or similar to good effect?

Appreciate the views guys.

Have another question about fishfinders (battery operated v car battery), but will post later, as have to work!

Cheers

Grant

B.A.S.S. member

I'm no Schwartzerniger and am awaiting an op on my left knee but I can lift the Prowler on to the roof easily by balancing her on my head!! Transport her upside down on just a set of roof bars padded out with pipe insulation. :)

Ok Prowler 13

greetings from guernsey!

i used the soft racks for about a week! then realised they are a pain in the bum for more than an occasional use!

Rather that j craddle thing you can use staight bar or a hoop like this

24087.jpg

which folds flat when not being used. i used that type for a year or so and its really good. esp for one or more yaks.

the other thing ive now got is a YAKIMA rack. which is a great roofrack system generally, but you have to order it from the USA. have a look at www.rei.com i have mine on a subaru impreza and its a great fit.

failing that as already said you can just have it upside down on padded bars. but thats not so good if you wanna transport it rigged up already.

Grant

My choice would be a Prowler 13, much easier to paddle by far . I carry the 13 on my shoulder,not a great deal between the weights of the prowler and caper also this setup for the roof , it's all metal! well nearly all of it . :rolleyes: Coincidentally the roof bars are for an Audi . Slids on a treat ,on and off fully loaded no probs .Only because I can't be arsed to take everything off. hope this helps.

Chuggs.

CAR1.3d6.jpg

Cheers Chuggs- So you reckon the Prowler 13 is a lot easier to paddle?

Some of our currents etc are pretty strong, so that would make a difference.

Island 991- does that fold completely flat then? Cant seem to find it on the Thule site- probably my incompetence.

B.A.S.S. member

I'm no tart (I've only got an old Shitroen), just tight, and I didn't want to splash out more dough on fancy J bars or what have you. But I did want to offer the gunwales of my new P13 as much protection as possible on top of my roof bars, and didn't think pipe insulation was up to the job. Also wanted something I could remove.

My solution was to use the round pads you hook your feet under that they use on weight machines in gyms, and fortunately I just happened to have an old weights bench gathering dust in the cellar. A slit down one edge and they slide on and off roof bars nicely.

I realise not evryone has a set of weights in the cellar, so I made a few enquiries and you can get them from York Fitness at £7 a pair for the high density foam. Tel: 01372 701824 helpdesk@yorkfitness.co.uk They also do a cheaper verion, which I imagine is the same density as pipe insulation, but even that will be a lot thicker.

I have seen something similar on sale in Halfords, going for around a fiver a pair, which are about half the size and not worth having.

And btw the P13 ROCKS!!... er.. or should that be hardly rocks at all?. Good luck with whatever you finally decide on. :thumbs:

Edited by paintfly

Hiya Grant.

I would say the prowler 13 or 15 would suit you.Seeing as you have strong tides round the Island.I have the Caper and a Prowler 15.The Caper is a good fishing platform but lacks in speed when you need it to get out of fast Currents.

Yesterday we went through some rip tides round Old Harry rock.The prowlers got through easy.But last year we tried on our Capers and ended up Beaching them and walking over the rocks.

zzippy2.gif

Head on the block here, the Prowler 13 is the best all round fishing kayak available at present, and does everything well, it's not the fastest, it's not the most comfortable, its not the most stable, but in one package it offers everything you need.

Roof bars, the kayak is made of polyethylene, it's tough as old boots, you don't really need roof pads, they will get dirty and bleached over time and this will start to rub off onto the kayak, if you carry surfboards or windsurfers, you do need pads, these craft are delicate and can crush easily when strapped down. So stick with bare bars, easy to clean, no nonsense.

SM :)

Meant to also add that the Caper is considerably lighter than the Prowler 13 when lifting overhead to load, or carrying down to the beach.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

hi grant i have a prowler 13 bought a couple of weeks ago on the recomendation of other jersey lads .due to work have been unable to christen it yet ,but hope to friday . as for lifting the only prob i have is the height of my landcruiser .so i went to b&q and bought a ally step about two foot long and eighteen inches high just the job . i have flat bars with thick lagging on and tie downs nothing fancy.

Edited by jerseytrev

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ