Magpies

kleinboet

(do they have magpies in Australia?)

They do, but they're not quite the same as ours:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=austra...G=Search+Images

They're the most commonly heard birds "singing" in the background of Australian soaps (and not quite as raucous as the British sort)!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it is illegal to use gin traps or any other kind of trap except a Larsen trap, OR you can shoot them. Why advocate breaking the law?

i still say a trap is better than shooting, at least it wont hurt anybody outside his fence line.i think hes already said he's too close to other property and road. and does it make the bird any more dead if its shot instead of trapped.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Maybe the law is different in Australia (do they have magpies in Australia?)

yes we do have magpies,and if you use the larsen trap you still have to dispose of the bird humanely, do that wrong and your breaking the law again.there is no easy answer to his question because if there was he wouldnt have asked this forum for help. just my opinion of course.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Klien, my advice for what it is worth is to shoot about 1 or 2 a week, you will gradually win without anyone noticing (except the young of other birds which will not get eaten by the Magpies)

I had a couple working my garden last spring (last year)...they got to the baby blackbirds...but not this year...........

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

shoot em!!!!!!

remember though shoot nasty black and white birds= Good

shooting young hoodies =Bad ;)

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

shoot em!!!!!!

remember though shoot nasty black and white birds= Good

shooting young hoodies =Bad ;)

I thought hooded crows were classed as vermin too? ;)

I thought hooded crows were classed as vermin too? ;)

Ya got me! :lol:

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Erm how about breaking the eggs??? NOT illegal as you are not removing them!! And they will NOT come back as magpies are VERY clever birds!! If you keep smashing the eggs they WILL get the message!!

And POKE the nests out of the tree with a long pole!! Surely you have one of those?? :yeah::yeah::yeah:

And how about a BLACK WIDOW?? Most effective and VERY quiet!!

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

The General licence details, including lists of birds in each licence are here.

That law being quoted here about discharging firearms within 50 feet of a highway is highly ambiguous. The full wording again is :

It is an offence to discharge a firearm, including an airgun, within 50 feet of the centre of any highway. This includes roads, bridle-paths or public footpaths. The offence is complete if a member of the public is injured, endangered or even just alarmed by the incident.

Presumably it means that if no one is injured, endangered or even just alarmed then it is not an offence. Many rough shooters will shoot along roadside hedges and I've heard of some organised driven shoots which even have stands on roads!

Edited by Lid

The General licence details, including lists of birds in each licence are here.

That law being quoted here about discharging firearms within 50 feet of a highway is highly ambiguous. The full wording again is :

It is an offence to discharge a firearm, including an airgun, within 50 feet of the centre of any highway. This includes roads, bridle-paths or public footpaths. The offence is complete if a member of the public is injured, endangered or even just alarmed by the incident.

Presumably it means that if no one is injured, endangered or even just alarmed then it is not an offence. Many rough shooters will shoot along roadside hedges and I've heard of some organised driven shoots even have stands on roads!

And I have over the yyears reported SEVERAL odious subjects for shooting in PUBLIC places(I am a shooter myself!) And to date NOTHING has ever happened!! Yet I myself was summonsed for HAVING a firearm whilst on common land!! So it is I fear a case of user be aware you MAY not get any feeling of the collar despite what you think even if the law IS ambiguous!! :)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))