Which rod?

dickandjill

Hello

I'm new to fishing and as I live in Cornwall I would like to try rock fishing.

My question is what is the best type of budget rod to buy for fishing for mackerel using 3 to 4 feathered/or shrimp type lures with a 2 to 3 oz weight on the end, and also spinning for mackerel,pollack and maybe bass with a 1oz Abu Toby type spoon?

I have a fixed spool reel that will take 150yds of 12lb line.

I believe I do not need anything as long as a 12ft beachcaster is this correct?

Thanks a lot

[ 13. June 2004, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: dickandjill ]

Hi DickandJill,

I agree with Jim,a Bass rod would be an excellent choice.

You can do so much with a Bass rod,very versitile pice of kit.

Hope you find obne that suits you :)

12lb line is a good choice,you will be able to cast your lures nicely with that.

Good luck to you.

Yakity. :cool:

I can probably do you something a bit "NICE" at a reasonable price if you are prepared to take a chance!! I have some new ABU rods, uptiders, Carp and a lure rod which is about right for the bass/mackerel. It's a CONOLON and you can have it for £45 plus post! If that's too much I have a couple of unmarked uptiders at 10ft which would do the trick, again Conolon by Abu but last years models. They would not only do for Bass, mackerel but also for the odd ray or wrasse or even as someone suggested conger!! (To my mind an uptider is basically a short beachcaster!! In it's simplest terms. I know there is a bit more to it but basically!!)

One thing you should consider is getting the fish out the water!! A longer rod MAY be an advantage to you? And would certainly be more of an advantage unless you were fishing from a boat!?

Post agin about your budget and feeling on the suggestions. And welcome to A/Net!! You may well like it here!?

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Hello Dick and Jill.

I`ve got a Shakespeare `Goldspin` rod.

Normally I`d use it for spinning for pollack, coalies, mackeral etc.

Over the weekend Norman B used it for thornbacks!! And the sod caught 2!

Most spinning rods (not the kiddies £20 outfit)will do you. If you`re willing to spend an extra few quid then go for a bass rod.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Hi Chris

Can you give me a price on this lot?

200lb mono 20yrs

200lb swivel 30/40 pieces

80lb mono 500 yrds

50lb braid 250 -300yrds, 4 spools

30lb braid as above

10/0 - 12/0 bronze heavy wire mustad hooks

large crimps 60-100

large beads loads

2 large butt pads

Kidney Belt

3 winch fitting (fuji type)

2 shv 40s

Ron Thompson Axellerator x4

Email me off group if more appropriate

Ta

SandTiger:

Hi Chris

Can you give me a price on this lot?

200lb mono 20yrs

200lb swivel 30/40 pieces

80lb mono 500 yrds

50lb braid 250 -300yrds, 4 spools

30lb braid as above

10/0 - 12/0 bronze heavy wire mustad hooks

large crimps 60-100

large beads loads

2 large butt pads

Kidney Belt

3 winch fitting (fuji type)

2 shv 40s

Ron Thompson Axellerator  x4

Email me off group if more appropriate

Ta

Could you first qualify the post a little more?? 20Yrs of mono!!?? How much do you use a Year??

;-))

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))