Slugs and leeches

Anderoo

Years and years ago I fished a trout water and spottted the trout taking leeches from just under the surface...I tied up an imitation using a brown elastic band and caught a few fish.

Whether the fish thought it was aa leech or not I don't know.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never given leeches a fair trial - which is why I can't remember ever catching a fish on one.

Slugs are a different matter, and are one of my favourite chub baits. I've also caught a good number of trout on them, plus the odd perch and pike. I've used 3 varieties. The small grey ones haven't been that successful, but I've done well on both black ones and the giant dull orange ones.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Thank you all for the welcome. I'm interested in learning about different ways to catch fish, reading some fish stories and perhaps sharing one or two of my own.

I find it interesting that leeches work fairly well here in the US, but not so well over there. The leeches we use are dark brown and small (smaller than the Hirudo medicinalis species), anywhere from an inch long to maybe five inches. They are sometimes preferred to worms as they are more resilient. To the point that cyprinids might not like leeches - perhaps there is something to that. I have never heard of anyone here in the US using leeches as carp bait. Worms, corn, doughballs, and now boilies, yes, but not leeches.

David Dawis

I'm interested in learning about different ways to catch fish, reading some fish stories and perhaps sharing one or two of my own.

You've come to a great forum then. Jan (wife person and also posts on here) and I just returned from 2 weeks in the UK fishing and visiting with some of the regulars on Anglers Net. I finally got to see and try some techniques I've been reading about for years. Tons of fun.

I've only fished once up your way - a day on the upper Mississippi River. For an old boy who was raised near Memphis where the river is very different in character, that was a treat too.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You've come to a great forum then. Jan (wife person and also posts on here) and I just returned from 2 weeks in the UK fishing and visiting with some of the regulars on Anglers Net. I finally got to see and try some techniques I've been reading about for years. Tons of fun.

I've only fished once up your way - a day on the upper Mississippi River. For an old boy who was raised near Memphis where the river is very different in character, that was a treat too.

Looking forward to reading everyone's posts here. Yes, the river up here is relatively tiny, especially before it connects with the St. Croix. I live not more than a couple of thousand feet from it. They've cleaned it up quite a bit, too, which is nice. I'm hoping to catch a few carp and catfish out of there before summer's through. Up north, I've crossed the Ol' Miss on a line of rocks at the headwaters in Itasca State Park (it is a must-do ritual if you make it to that park) - down here in Minneapolis it gets to a few hundred feet wide. How big is the river in Memphis?

Dave Dawis

How big is the river in Memphis?

Normally about a mile wide unless the river is above flood stage. Pretty deep, slow, and muddy down that far.

The MN trip, we were mainly trying to catch fish to prep as cut bait for a weeks catfishing in Canada but we got plenty early in the day and spent the rest of the time fishing for fun.

Caught my first-ever smallmouth when I was reeling in a piece of cut bait as fast as I could to stay out of some rocks. Dang thing just smashed the bait and the fight was on. A little over 2 lbs of a seriously good fighting fish but he had been living in fast water so was in great condition.

Had a great time with some fast water carp too. Lots better fight than you get from their brothers in a lake.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

... from the dykes at the bottom of our gardens.

That's funny my mum always used to tell us we had fairies at the bottom of ours. ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

That's funny my mum always used to tell us we had fairies at the bottom of ours. ;)

:D You get a special kind of lady in Norfolk...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Bit of advice:

1. Don't under any circumstances leave a box full of slugs in your car for a few weeks in summer.

2. If you do notice a funny smell coming from under you car seat and remember never using those slugs you caught, under no circumstances open said box in a confined place.

3. If you are stupid enough to open the box in confined place do not spill the most foul smelling black liquid in the universe that used to be slugs all over yourself in an effort to escape the stench.

Trust me use slugs with care!