Cats & Carp. What rigs/trace or...

Norfolkdan

if your fishing for cats in a lake containing carp then slightly uprated carp tackle will do ,cats love boilies especially fish ones and readily feed on offerings for carp.

using boilies gets around the pike although never caught a pike on a boily (although i have a perch or 2) the chance of getting a pike is remote.

in our lake containing cats we (the club) have a single hook policy for pike fishing with lures etc ensuring the least harm comes to the cats as possible

[ 07. July 2005, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Dan Ive never had a problem with pike and liver.Get Ox liver as its stronger smell and texture are better.Had a pike take squid when it was being retrieved once and know a mate who had a pick up on a static squid bait but their attractivness to pike really depends on the water.On waters with plenty of prey fish not had a problem.

Ive always fished deads,squid,worms,liver etc etc with as free running a rig as possible and an open bail arm.But for lives or boillies a semi fixed set up and baitrunner is fine.

When fishing with low resistance methods the best indicator is an old "Ricky Gibbinson" type windbeater monky climber set on a short slanting needle set just behind the spool so you can fish open bail.Easy made from an old 35mm film case.

As Chesters says standard carp gear is fine.Also as mewntioned a Quicksilver trace works well and gusrds against any abbrassion.Dont be shy of big hooks.I would reccomend Cox&Rawle Uptide Extras.Keep them ultra sharp though.Also when using large hooks make sure you have a set of cutters that will be able to cut through them.I say this as often if taken by a small fish a large hook will penetrate all the way through the roof of the mouth and is best removed by cutting in half.

Although not very selective boillies can work really well on waters that the cats have switched on to them.

Cats behave well on the bank and keep quite still.They dont like carp sacks though.

Good luck with the cats they are great fun.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Dan

The CCG sell a braid hooklink that has wire woven it, to protect against the Pike. Its called Cannelle Supratress. Personally I'd be wary about using standard wire for Cats, its likely to cut their mouths up quite badly. Some fisheries have banned the use of wire traces in the Cat lakes.

<<sure theres no tension the fish can feel wen it picks the bait up otherwise they will drop it especialy>> I'm not so sure that its the tension in the line that causes Cats to drop a bait, I think its more a change in the level of tension.

I had a low 20 Cat, the week before last, that went scatty on the mat and even worse when I had a photo taken. First one I've had thats ever done that. I have a great photo of the Cat curled up in a ball, with me holding it.

BUDGIE:

Mr Bean it is very dangerous no matter how well intended to give advice on something you clearly know little about.

Pike anglers have been battling to protect pike by educating anglers for a long time now.Im worried that you dont think wire is necessary for pike but even more worried that you post it on the internet for others to see and follow.

Wire is the only suitable trace matirial for pike fishing. :mad:

well bloody said!

dan,not being funny mate,but leave the pike well alone,until winter at least,are you confident handling them?

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

watever anyone does do not use braid because it will result in a pike cutting it up but i have bought some wire coated in a clear plastic material which i guess would be safe for catfish because its very smooth just remember pike are very sensitive fish and die very easily!

kool skool,

as you are confident with them,and i dont think you'll keep them out of the water longer than nesccersary,plus if its nights temps/water temps shouldnt be too high.

i dont preach mate just advise ie i aint the piking police lol (not directed at anyone on HERE)

[ 13. July 2005, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Ratty Fitzpatrick46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!