Cats & Carp. What rigs/trace or...

Norfolkdan

Hi guys.

In the next month I'll be going fishing at a venue which holds catfish and pike.

I'm wanting to try fishing for both (with deadbaits) but wondering what would be best to use.

I'm going to need a wire trace of somesort incase of pike, but wil that put the cats off. I couldn't just use a normal rig (15lb line, size 5 hook) for the cats incase a pike picks up the bait, right?

Any idea's what would be best to use?

Thanks for any help

Dan

Dan please do not try to use wire for cats.It just isnt suited to their softer mouths.Also dont be mislead by others in to thinking that braid,no mater how heavy,will resist a pikes teeth.

The simple fact is that in a water that contains pike you have to forget live and dead fish baits for cats.

There are plenty of good alternative baits.If you are concerned about not having other fish pick up your cat bait then try leechs.Same attraction as lives but nothing other than cats will touch them!Try a search on here for the various threads on this subject.

Any other cat querries just ask.

[ 06. July 2005, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Fishy boilies and halibut pellet.

Pike will rip braid to threads, i had one take a source pop-up and it ripped the 25lb snakebite hooklengh to shreds.

As for having no tension on the line, i have had 15 cats this year on 2 outings (i need to go again) and all have fallen to bolt rigs.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

Norfolkdan:

Hi guys.

In the next month I'll be going fishing at a venue which holds catfish and pike.

I'm wanting to try fishing for both (with deadbaits) but wondering what would be best to use.

I'm going to need a wire trace of somesort incase of pike, but wil that put the cats off. I couldn't just use a normal rig (15lb line, size 5 hook) for the cats incase a pike picks up the bait, right?

Thanks for any help

i've found that pike find it hard to bite through a 15lb trace. i've done it myself when i lost all my wire ones. sure, they will fray it a bit but it should hold out. good luck

it is very unlikely that the fishery will allow you to use wire as it is no good at all for the welfare of the catfish. and with most lakes that hold catfish they seem to be the main attraction. you want a kryston quicksilver hooklength and a large hook ie 1 0 upwards for fish baits liver squidd etc. or a large carp hook for pellets bollies etc. i had a 30lb 10oz cat last saturday on hair rigged mackeral chunk over pellets on 35lb quicksilver size 1 0 gold label cat hook 2 oz fox grippa lead on a run ring with a light swinger and the baitrunner set very light.

i do not claim to be a expert but it works for me.

mr. bean:

mr. bean:

Hi guys.

Thanks for any help

i've found that pike find it hard to bite through a 15lb trace. i've done it myself when i lost all my wire ones. sure, they will fray it a bit but it should hold out. good luck
whatever you do, pay no notice to this post, it's absolute tosh! have you got teeth like a pike then mr bean? if there are pike present in the water, you MUST use proper traces (whether wire, solid, whatever)

[ 07. July 2005, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: jeepster ]

Mr Bean it is very dangerous no matter how well intended to give advice on something you clearly know little about.

Pike anglers have been battling to protect pike by educating anglers for a long time now.Im worried that you dont think wire is necessary for pike but even more worried that you post it on the internet for others to see and follow.

Wire is the only suitable trace matirial for pike fishing. :mad:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!