My first 2006 Mullet

sam-cox

post-6022-1150149652_thumb.jpg

This was my first cast on my first attempt for mullet this year.

I was bass fishing from a Burnham-on-Crouch jetty and at the same baiting up with bread and maggots at the same time.

After an hour of baiting I stopped fishing for bass and changed to float gear, well the float just kept going, didnt even have time to cock. The result was this fish of just over 6lb.

Im now well chuffed!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done, and welcome to the merry band of Mulleteers. My first mullet was about the same size. I thought I had got caught up on the back actor of a JCB. I have never targetted another species since that day. Sometimes I do get bass on a bit of bread. My fishing mate had a 6lb bass on a floater!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

What a cracking fish! Nice one, Sam.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Well done Sam,hope to join your ranks shortly :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

As most of you guys know I mainly target bass, however much of my miss spent youth was spent mullet fishing at Bradwell marina. It took me ten years to learn how to catch them and I didnt catch my first bread caught mullet until I was fifteen.

Now when targeting mullet I mostly fish Burnham marina, but last night it was the Royal Carinthiain jetty that done it for me. We also caught several schoolies on rag and crab baits and my pal Dave lost two better bass.

I havnt tried maggots before and although the fish came to bread flake fish lift bite method I was baiting moderatly with bread and magots for about 1.5 hour before trieing for the mullet.

Has anyone else any experience of using magots for mullut,?

Do swim feeders work? as I normally target them with float tackle and normally catch Im at bit warey of trieing feeders as I think the splash could spook the fish.

Comments please lads!

And thanks for the prase!

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

As most of you guys know I mainly target bass, however much of my miss spent youth was spent mullet fishing at Bradwell marina. It took me ten years to learn how to catch them and I didnt catch my first bread caught mullet until I was fifteen.

Now when targeting mullet I mostly fish Burnham marina, but last night it was the Royal Carinthiain jetty that done it for me. We also caught several schoolies on rag and crab baits and my pal Dave lost two better bass.

I havnt tried maggots before and although the fish came to bread flake fish lift bite method I was baiting moderatly with bread and magots for about 1.5 hour before trieing for the mullet.

Has anyone else any experience of using magots for mullut,?

Do swim feeders work? as I normally target them with float tackle and normally catch Im at bit warey of trieing feeders as I think the splash could spook the fish.

Comments please lads!

And thanks for the prase!

Sam,

I sometimes use a wire-caged block-end swim feeder down the side of a harbour wall or a pontoon fished 'dangly-down' mid water and filled with mashed bread.

It's amazing how mullet can empty the feeder yet leave the hook bait alone, despite burying the baited hook in the feeder, or on a very short hooklegth.

Bite detection is another problem, as the fish push the feeder about quite violently, but so far I've not managed to deep-hook a mullet with the method, and it's usually when the rod pulls over hard that I realise that a mullet has hooked itself.

Mind you, I did have one fish on, that I played to the surface, then it opened its mouth.

It hadn't taken the hook bait, but had the whole feeder in its mouth, letting go on the surface.

(So how come they are shy of a piece of bread with a size 8 hook buried carefully inside, but are happy to take a metal feeder full of bread into their gob? - Bl***y mullet, I'll never understand them!)

Another trick is simply to leave the feeder rod to act as a 'mullet detector'.

When the tip starts bouncing, you know there are feeding mullet down there, and float tackle lowered alongside usually provokes a take, as the bread swirls downwards.

Fishing the feeder on the bottom in the Medway usually only attracts the crabs, which often snip the hooklength through and steal the hook along with the bait, so I don't bother fishing on the bottom.

But in other locations, where crabs aren't such a problem, it's quite a successful method.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust