Guitar help

jimpy0

i seem to remember some of you peeps discussing either playing guitars or buying them my daughter is oiking me for one and i am totally clules regards them.

do i buy new/private/ebay

seperates or package

cant afford a fortune especially if she dosnt take it up

any help chaps and chapeses :thumbs:

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products....er+Guitar+Packs

These Behringer packs are excellent value - and available everywhere - I'm sure Ebay is full of them.

The amp is amazing value on its own - has some great 'old amp' emulations, & Behringer make some pro level effects boxes so they are not trash merchants either.

If not look in junk shops and 'you nick it we flog it' type outlets and you should be able to find a reasonable acoustic for £20. Look hard at the neck and check that the strings are all a few mm off the 'frets' and the neck is not twisted.

Personaly I found electric much easier to learn than acoustic due to my smallish hands - I have trouble bridging my left hand (& smashing it up a few times dont help!)

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Does she know what sort of music she wants to play? Not much use buying an electric if she wants to play classical or folk (and not much good buying a nylon-strung acoustic if she wants to rock!).

sorry forgot to say she's after electric and is 13

oh and she's adamant it has a whammy bar??? wtf that is

told ya i was clueless

Edited by jimpy0

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

Electric Guitar and amp combo look at http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/store/3/cat/Musical-Instruments

Ive got one and i am learning to play on it its basically the same package Tog recommends but at a great price

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

In that case, as the electric guitar market is even more "brand conscious" than carp gear, I'd go for one of the cheaper Fender models like the Squier, even though I think Yamaha are better value for money. There's a huge secondhand market in electrics (I got my secondhand Yamaha Pacifica for £100 from an ad in the local paper). Bearing in mind the possibility of having to re-sell it, buying the best secondhand model you could afford might make more sense than buying cheap and new.

Whatever you buy, try to take an experienced guitarist with you, as your daughter will need to be comfortable with her first instrument and won't know what to look out for.

oh and she's adamant it has a whammy bar??? wtf that is

Jimpy, a whammy bar is the same thing as a "tremelo arm". It's a lever attached to the bridge that allows you to "bend" (distort) the notes that you're playing. I don't use one as I find they're a great breaker of strings!

You might want to have a look at this too Jimpy :roll1:

Essential Help

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

Jimpy

I went through what you are going through a a while back and my son was adamant he wanted a whammy bar. I was advised that on cheeper instruments they can be a little suspect and so we got one without. I am no guitar player but anything that could affect the tuning needs to be simple or good quality.

If your daughter really wants one then maybe the second hand Squirer or Pacifica option might be better.

Edited by A Worm OOE

Something to beware of. My son when he started wanted an electric as he wanted to play Rock. However once he had got started and began to play properly he wanted an accoustic and that is what he spends most time using even if its Nirvanan or Pink Lfoyd he is playing.

You might want to have a look at this too Jimpy :roll1:

Essential Help

If not get an amp with a head phone socket.

Edited by A Worm OOE

Electric Guitar and amp combo look at http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/store/3/cat/Musical-Instruments

Ive got one and i am learning to play on it its basically the same package Tog recommends but at a great price

why are blue dearer than red??????

You might want to have a look at this too Jimpy roll1.gif

Essential Help

or fingers in ears or chop her arms off

thanks chaps well impressed with the prices

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com