Upgrade?

Tristan

Hi,

I have just joined Anglers Net. I live in Jersey and have been Kayak fishing for just over a year now with mixed success. Certainly catch more than I used to from the shore though! I mainly fish for Bass and my biggest to date is 5lb 7oz. I am just searching for more consistency now. I have got off to a slow start this year with the weather and the Bass dont seem to be there in any numbers yet.

I would like your views on my dilema.

I currently have a Frenzy. It is very stable and manouverable in all conditions but it is quite slow and has limited storage. Also it sits very low in the water and I always seem to be sat in water even though I am using the scupper plugs. One of my friends has a Prowler; I gave it a go and it seemed to ride very high in the water, making it fast and has lots of storage but it is too long for my garage. My other friend has just bought a Caper this seems to be the perfect compromise and would fit in my garage. We went out at the weekend and he was much faster than me.

Please let me have the knowledge of your experience and what your views are on whether I should upgrade to a Caper or not.

The kayak shop advise me you can get a very good price for second hand Ocean Kayaks as the demand is very high for them.

Hi Tristan welcome aboard fellow bean, if you decide to go for the Caper you wont regret it, I still have mine and there are times when I prefer it to my Prowler 15 although the missus uses it mailnly now I do take it out for a ride now and again.

If he hasn't already, ask your mate if you can have a go in it and see what you think, take a good look at the space available to you and take advantage of the width ,sit side saddle and see how stable it is.

The Caper is a nice yak for sure but not having tried a Frenzy I dont know how it would compare.

Also you might want to take a looksee at the Scupper pro.

Was it the prowler 13 or 15 your other mate has?

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Hi Tristan welcome aboard fellow bean, if you decide to go for the Caper you wont regret it, I still have mine and there are times when I prefer it to my Prowler 15 although the missus uses it mailnly now I do take it out for a ride now and again.

If he hasn't already, ask your mate if you can have a go in it and see what you think, take a good look at the space available to you and take advantage of the width ,sit side saddle and see how stable it is.

The Caper is a nice yak for sure but not having tried a Frenzy I dont know how it would compare.

Also you might want to take a looksee at the Scupper pro.

Was it the prowler 13 or 15 your other mate has?

Prowler, thanks for your advice. I tried a Prowler 13, but I dont really have the space for it. I think a Caper would be the biggest I could fit in my garage. What do you see as the main advantages of the Prowler over the Caper?

Grant, thanks I will have a go in yours next time we go out then.

We will definately all have to meet up to have a chat and try to catch some fish.

Prowler, thanks for your advice. I tried a Prowler 13, but I dont really have the space for it. I think a Caper would be the biggest I could fit in my garage. What do you see as the main advantages of the Prowler over the Caper?

We will definately all have to meet up to have a chat and try to catch some fish.

Can I come too???????

:):):)

SDD~~~~~~~ :sun:

Can I come too???????

:):):)

SDD~~~~~~~ :sun:

On my way, i'll pick you up about 3am, just let your good lady know your on tour ;).

Photo Gallery

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Sorry forthe late reply was cooking dinner.

The only reason I bought the Prowler was pure and simple i loved the shape the design and and the room it offered, allowing me not only to fish and dive but to also go on all day/night excursions with all the kit I needed including camping gear and as an added bonus I could sit our boy in the tankwell.lol

The only other real difference for me and this is a personal preference, and where it matters is in the surf zone now note I dont intentionally go surfing with them but maybe I should, the caper is a great little boat if you get caught out and have to come back in through the surf, personally I hate the stuff especially that rogue 4-6ft wave that waits out there for you just as your about to make your way in ready to turf you out gear and all.

With the Caper i've managed to tackle a lot of conditions with comfort and ease the hull shape and width makes for a great stable platform in those conditions you even get time to whistle the Hawaii 5'0 theme tune :yeah: , the prowler however takes alot to be tamed in that kind of surf and can quite easily turn on you if not kept under control.

Thats my tuppence, anyways i'm sure we'll all get to meet up soon for a natter and a paddle topped of with a nice double figure Bass.

Edited by Prowler

Photo Gallery

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

You providing the bass then Prowler!

Having gone from my inflatable, I actually find the Caper quite low, and wondered what it would be like in the rougher water.

I am going away on a work trip til Saturday lunchtime, so not sure if I will get out this weekend, but Tristan may be keen.

B.A.S.S. member

You providing the bass then Prowler!

Having gone from my inflatable, I actually find the Caper quite low, and wondered what it would be like in the rougher water.

I am going away on a work trip til Saturday lunchtime, so not sure if I will get out this weekend, but Tristan may be keen.

I was planning to go out at low tide Saturday lunchtime, but the weather is not looking too good. Will give anyone who might be interested an update nearer the time.

Does anyone else have a Frenzy for fishing? If so what are your thoughts on the pros and cons between it and the Caper. The Frenzy is very stable, in fact it could deal with conditions beyond what I would be comfortable with. Therefore the more speed that the Caper would offer and the fact that it is still fairly stable is steering me towards it.

Hi there, I've had a Caper for over 2 years now and found it excellent. Not the fastest but a great all rounder. Been able to cope with pretty fast tide runs in the Essex estuaries, fished from it in the depths of winter and occasionally at night. Even big enough to squeeze a small child on the the front in calm weather close to shore. Both my kids have had a great time on it. Very robust, exceptionally stable and plenty of storage space. Yes, i would probably get a Prowler if i had to replace it but i think i will let a good few years more out of her before i do.

Rog.

Kayaks: OK Tungsten Caper - Orange & White Alaw Bach - Orange Rockhopper - Pyranha Inazone 232.