Last One Coming Up

P1010901.jpg

Nearly Done

P1010905.jpg

Brute Force

P1010906.jpg

Miller Time all Done

P1010908.jpg

Looked very much like hard work to me!!!

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Nice pitures there Judy, I always enjoy sitting watching locks working. My wife had to drag me away from the one at the end of Loch Ness or I'd have watched it all day.

If all else fails, follow the intructions.

Only five? There's sixteen here at Caen Hill, :o , I've not been through them but I imagine it's pretty knackering; and there's some fishy ponds on the right hand side on the terraces down the hill.

Nice pics as usual Judy.

IMG_2808.jpg

Lovely pics Judy. I particularly liked the black and white shots. I love these locks, having been through them several times on our narrowboat trips, and having walked them many, many other times. Hope you treated yourself to either an ice cream or bacon butty from the shop at the top. Last time we were there, the bacon butties were sublime! Did you get to meet Barry, the resident lock-keeper? He's a legend in these parts! I think he has a bit of a love/hate relationship with many of the boaters!

Pah! 16 at Caen Hill? A mere trifle! We did Tardebigge recently - Tardebigge Locks or the Tardebigge Flight is the longest flight of locks in the UK - 30 narrow locks on a two mile stretch of the Worcester and Birmingham Canal at Tardebigge, Worcestershire. Absolutely knackering, but great fun! We also did the Wolverhampton flight of 21 locks twice in a week. Why? Well, just because it was there, of course! Caen Hill is still on our to-do list for the future!

However, Bingley 5-rise is unique in England, being a staircase lock with a total fall of 60 feet. Opened in 1774, and still working just as well today as it did then. However, if you venture over the border into Scotland, Neptune's Staircase on the Caledonian Canal has eight locks, rising 64 feet, which makes it the longest staircase lock in the UK.

We're off next Saturday for a week long cruise on a narrowboat along the Rochdale Canal from Sowerby Bridge, taking a couple of soft Southern jessies over the Summit to Rochdale and back. Judy, if you'd like to join us for a day out we'd be delighted to meet you. We can provide lunch, entertainment and maybe even a spot of fishing....I'll send you a PM with the details.

Janet

Janet