smoked mackerell top food

darlick

Six years ago i dicided to have a go at smokeing fish,looking in a magazine i saw a smoker for thirty quid yes we will have on of those,few days later it arrives so off we go,where do we go ? ,not a clue,libery good start,picked an old book up witch gave me all the brine and salting so time to experiment,the first go was not good to much salt,not enough smoke,few more goes less salt more smoke ect,now were talking things started to look good taste good so now were off, mackerell salmon cod whiteing haddock eel all on the menue,i tell you now the it was the best thing top nosh from the smell of your mackerel under the grill to the sutle taste of the cullen skink [smoked haddock soup] and the sweet tast of the whiting,try it you wont be dissapointed few misaps on the way stick with it,i have it off to a fine art now and it was worth the disasters,beats the hell out of that died crap and you know what you are eating yum yum :):)

Yes top tucker I have to agree.My mate "Freddie the bass" who hails from Drummore has made his own and it is mint.Those narrow lockers you tend to get at work,you know the ones about 6 feet tall and 18" wide. Well Freddie simply welded a load of extra shelving into it. The deal is it is esconsed at the bottom of his garden. He simply loads it up with 200 mackerel fillets,sets alight to the oak chippings in the bottom,shuts the door and returns 24 hours later to oak smoked mackerel.

Go on try making one :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I wondered how long you left them for.

I got given a smoker and am really keen to use it. Trouble is, I don't eat fish, so it would be meat joints.

I got it out of the garage yesterday and showed the wife, after she asked, "What the hell is that?".

Any tips appreciated.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Try it with pollack - makes a fantastic 'smoked haddock' substitute in fish pies etc.

We've got a couple of apple trees and I've had a large branch in my garage for a couple of years now. Whenever I need some chippings, I run an electric planer over it and fire the chippings into a carrier bag stuck over the outlet nozzle - bingo!!! Give a less harsh smoked flavour than oak

Elton

Try smoking a decent quality sausage; Cumberland or something like that or a hard cheese such as a Farmhouse chedar both of these smoke up well.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Salt? I thought you just smoked them.

Yes so did I!

Lads Would you be Kind enough to talk us through the process, as I have toyed with the Idea for some time,

Building a smoke that is :):lol:

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Yes so did I!

Lads Would you be Kind enough to talk us through the process, as I have toyed with the Idea for some time,

salt brine easy one part salt to eight parts water and half the amount of sugar as salt, for example one cup of salt half cup of sugar and eight cups of water,place fish in brine for thirty five mins take out and rinse fish and let them dry off for a while and into smoker mackerel and white fish i only give them four to six hours but that is my own taste,experiment to suit your own, you can also just dry salt just sprinkle salt on fillet i would do thirty mins again with mackerel and white fish.i do prefer brine the fish stays nice and moist,it tends to be a lot dryer with dry salt.salmon different again the old books will tell you to dry salt for one hour per one lb of the round fish so ten lb salmon ten hours, i found this to be to long to salty so i halfed it and have had great results,i like them to be in smoke for at least twenty four hours,its a good hobby and worth sticking at you may have the odd hick up but when you get it sussed,its great food only prblem is the neighbours smell the smoke and you end up giveing most of it away. :)

Yes so did I!

would not build one cheep enough to buy loads in ASKARI mag www.askari.fishing.co.uk hot cold smokers then if you dont like sell it on. :)