sea trout off the beach

thurso angler

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you catch a fish and want to eat it and appreciate it then do it, and enjoy it, just don't make a habit of it :)

and don't let holier than thou people get to you :)

Speaking as both a game and sea angler I find the killing of these fish indefensible.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if it was a pic of common skate wings or two 10lb bass hanging from the tripod?

As for the situation regarding the law.......if you were fishing without the written permission of the owner of the fishing rights you were commiting an offence( assuming you were deliberately targetting sea trout)

Some years ago I read the notes for guidance issued to the Northern Constabulary regarding poaching(which is what you were doing if you were fishing for sea trout without permission)

The first thig written down was POACHING = THEFT

So, it follows that if you retained the sea trout when fishing without permission you are a thief.

I know that the sea trout population in most river systems in the North and West of scotland are at the endangered level and that great efforts have been made(restocking, habitat improvement and catch and release) in order to help stocks recover.The fish killed were the breeding stock and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Further south in Ayrshire I know that sea trout stocks are also very low( with the possible exception of Lomond) so anyone down there that is fishing for sea trout should bear that in mind. The best advice is that if you catch a sea trout release it immediately and do ypour bit for conservation.

I am not so sure that sea trout are fair game 1 mile or more off shore-I shall check the handbook and let you know for sure.

William, well done mate....hope they taste great....hopefully will see you this year... :D:thumbs::D

Roag Angler...I was going to welcome you...but dont think I will......What a way to make an entrance !!, Have you read that book, entitled, How to make friends and influence people........no, didnt think so..... :P:P

I always thought that Sea Trout were only Brownies, that went to sea, because of a lack of feeding in their native river system......which to me , makes them fair game....

Below is a link to the Basic Law In Scotland for Angling for Salmon and sea Trout.......... :D:D Might help you in not getting arrested mate......cos I aint bailing you out..... :blink::P:blink:

http://groups.msn.com/fishinginscottishwat...nglinglaws.msnw

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Davy Holt is correct- sea trout are fair game more than 1 mile offshore in Scotland. It is fortunate that most of them are found close to shore.

One final point- a great many people regard the killing of sea trout as irresponsible given the current state of the stocks. If anyone finds the killing of bass or common skate offensive then all the same arguements can be made regarding sea trout. But while killing most bass and common skate is legal, it is most likely that killing sea trout is illegal.

Roag fisher,

Are you a wind-up merchant,a son of neptune,vegan or some sort of religious freak . Either way your on the wrong site for that kind of talk. Concentrate your efforts in the proper areas of conservation and stop wasting my time replying to someone who it is obvious has a big knowlege void up there.

Oh dear!! NOT a nice start!! BUT this IS a forum for saying what you think and that is what makes it Sooooooooooooo Good!!! If the poster HAS said anything offensive I am sure the Mods will weedle it out!!

And welcome friend!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Speaking as both a game and sea angler I find the killing of these fish indefensible.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if it was a pic of common skate wings or two 10lb bass hanging from the tripod?

As for the situation regarding the law.......if you were fishing without the written permission of the owner of the fishing rights you were commiting an offence( assuming you were deliberately targetting sea trout)

Some years ago I read the notes for guidance issued to the Northern Constabulary regarding poaching(which is what you were doing if you were fishing for sea trout without permission)

The first thig written down was POACHING = THEFT

So, it follows that if you retained the sea trout when fishing without permission you are a thief.

I know that the sea trout population in most river systems in the North and West of scotland are at the endangered level and that great efforts have been made(restocking, habitat improvement and catch and release) in order to help stocks recover.The fish killed were the breeding stock and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Further south in Ayrshire I know that sea trout stocks are also very low( with the possible exception of Lomond) so anyone down there that is fishing for sea trout should bear that in mind. The best advice is that if you catch a sea trout release it immediately and do ypour bit for conservation.

I am not so sure that sea trout are fair game 1 mile or more off shore-I shall check the handbook and let you know for sure.

So arrest me, you know nothing of the local population of sea trout so please do not come on here and judge, crikey just because ayreshire has a problem, so what? we have rivers up here as little as 10 miles apart that hold good stocks and the others nothing? your comment means nothing?

i have fished for sea trout for the first time last year at the end of the season i have caught 20 to date and re-leased 15, the others were kept for the table, all ate and enjoyed, we have no commercial netsman up here fishing for them, man and seals are there only predator, i do a lot of sea fishing from my boat and keep next to nothing as i dont enjoy the taste of cod etc as much, just a qucik question roag fisher how many sea trout have you kept in your life? now be honest as i have.

Oh and norrie, your more than welcome mate, give us a roar when your planning up?

Edited by thurso angler

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Cracking fishing TA :) Makes me want to move back to Shetland where a 5lber, caught on an endless evening (and eaten ;) ) was my best fish.

Roag Fisher,

The Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries (Consolidation)(Scotland)Act 2003 was news to me . From a brief read it does not in itself actually change much as far as sea-fishing goes?

It repeats what the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries (Protection) (Scotland ) Act 1951 said, in that it creates an offence for any person, without written permission, to fish for or take salmon in any waters, including any part of the sea within 1 mile of low water mark.

Consulting a (old 1995) Police training manual there is the offence:

“Section 1 of the Act creates an offence for any person, without legal right or written permission, to fish for or take salmon in any waters, including any part of the sea within 1 mile of low water mark.”

but then a note underneath which states

“Note:- The reference to parts of the sea is included to prevent unauthorised salmon fishing in estuary areas, as well as in freshwater rivers and lochs”

I'd imagine the average Scottish copper/fishery officer/fiscal took a common sense view of when it was in the public interest to prosecute. Can't say I remember any such prosecutions involving the kind of fishing TA has been doing . Do you know of/were involved with any? Did the Fiscal take it on? anyone get convicted?

Have there been any since the introduction of the new Act?

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

That link is out of date

The latest act we work from is the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries (Consolidation)(Scotland)Act 2003

Anyone in any doubt of the laws regarding Salmon/Sea Trout could contact the Association of Salmon Fisheries Boards-contact details from their website.

If anyone is wondering why I am a little upset- I am part of a group of anglers who have spent the last six years managing a migratory fish system( Stornoway Angling Association) for the benefit of the local community and visiting anglers. The fishing has improved through restocking, habitat improvement, anti poaching operations and education. I think the education part applies here and the only way to get the message across is to tell it as it is-experience has taught us that.

Off to get some mackerel now for tomorrows shore fishing expedition-then up half the night protecting the salmon and sea trout stocks for Association members.

Everyone has their right to express themselves roag fisher but I must say that if you had popped up 25 yrs ago Mrs Thatcher may have chosen another career faced with your arrogance.As for a visiting angler in your area too scared to go near the place now might meet you patrolling in your uniform.Do you have a whistle dangling from your lapell?

Before you go mackerel fishing please take time out to read the post pinned at the start of this forum and make sure every letter of it is observed.

Education, education ,education.