Our week on the mull of Galloway.

musket

We set off at 05:20 on saturday July 1st and 9 trouble free hours later pulled into the caravan park in Drummore.We met up with Snatcher who kindly showed us the best fishing marks on his admiralty chart.

Sunday saw us launching from the gorgeous Port Logan on the Irish side of the Mull.

ResizeofKIF_0110.jpg

Launching couldn't have been easier:

ResizeofKIF_0032.jpg

We very soon got amongst the mackeral and pollack which were more numerous and of a better size than we were used too:

Martin(borderman) with a very respectable fish

ResizeofKIF_0019.jpg

This beautiful bay provided us with a variety of fish all of which we could see through the gin clear water chasing this particular lure:

ResizeofKIF_0054.jpg

I had wrasse,mackeral,pollack,coalfish and a gurnard all fall to this great lure from France.I changed the treble to a single which made unhooking a lot easier.Total distance paddled first day was 11 miles!

We met up with snatcher on one of the days to try for tope from the shore.Unfortunately the wind really picked up and we had to admit a sensible retreat but not before we'd taken snatchers mackeral bait out 2oo yds for him(and let him have a paddle)

The day was saved by visiting a sheltered bay and spinning from the shore.

ResizeofKIF_0083.jpg

Because it got dark so late we could fish late into an impressive evening

ResizeofKIF_0095.jpg.

Another day saw us try for bass on the Luce bay side.

It meant an early start 04:30 but we soon decided it was worth it:

ResizeofKIF_0065.jpg

ResizeofKIF_0066.jpg

Thanks to snatcher for lending me his yo-zuri aile magnet? which he had recommended to him by manxman as the ultimate bass lure:

ResizeofKIF_0068.jpg

I failed to catch but saw plenty of bass including one great lump which I swear made contemptuous eye contact with me.

I actually had three heart stopping "bow waves" but failed to hook up.I later had a tip that instead of reeling in after a miss,I should have left it floating for a while and might have had a second chance.

We had a great time at a great spot.As well as intensive fishing we enjoyed great scenery and wildlife including :many sea birds up close(I virtually hand fed an inquisitive fulmar) Peregrine,barn owl,deer,hares and seals.

We enjoyed some fresh fish suppers,some nice wine,cheese and a great single malt which

finished off a hard days paddling in Scotland perfectly.

Thanks to snatcher for introducing us to the area and for his generosity( he gave us a pile of his hand tied pollack lures so pm me if you fancy a couple) and to Martin for his good company.

To end : I believe that despite the geordie lads catching a couple of tope on the friday(from a charter boat)

the yak lads(martin) got the heaviest fish :yeah:

Edited by musket

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great write up and pics Musket. The place sounds fantastic but the big question is will Snatcher be tempted to join the motley crew? ;):D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Some lovely photos there Musket, it looks like you had a good time as well.

It is a very nice place, but as you seen it can be a very windy place as well. I came over on the Monday afternoon and fished a few marks in Luce bay and went over to Port Logan early on the Tuesday morning for a change of scenery.

We had a couple of Tope from the yak on the Monday afternoon over HW…

100_1039.jpg

And managed a conger as well before it just got a bit rough to be safe out there…..

100_1042.jpg

Port Logan has some decent Pollock fishing as well but we went to get a few haddock for the tea on Tuesday night. I had to do a flyer and went home on the Tuesday afternoon, the lad I was over with was working on the Tuesday night.

Sorry we didn’t meet up but I’m sure you will be back up after having such a good week.

Neil.

Neil

Not sure but that could be the first Conger landed on a kayak in the UK. Anybody else had one? (with photo)

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hi Neil,

Some great photo's there.Shame we didn't meet up as we had driven such a distance,had posted that we would be there at that time and given our location.

We were on the lookout for the other yakkers that had said they would turn up(including yourself) and would have welcomed some relatively local yakkers advice especially regarding tope marks.

Jon

Edited by musket

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"