Mitchell match bail arm repair...

Butt Banger

The bail arm just wont trip back over (to close) and the hinge wont push back if I try to do it manually.I will see if I can identify the problem one night this week and have a go at sorting it out myself (Chesters1 will be happy :clap: ).I think something may have gone amis under the spool plate.

BB

I had a problem like this but we are talking about a million pints ago so it's very hazy. I think you might be right about something under the spool plate, just a bar that's gone too far and locked itself, maybe slipped a tooth on a cog I just can't remember. Whatever it was I fixed it and I definitely didn't need to buy any spares to do it.

good onya Butt Banger for having a go yourself.i'm sure theres enough of us on here who'll be able to aid you in the process.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

good onya Butt Banger for having a go yourself.i'm sure theres enough of us on here who'll be able to aid you in the process.

One warning, watch out for flying springs. The first time I took a fixed spool apart I could have done with a slip fielder :)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Give it a try Butt Banger.If you still have no luck let me know and we can arrange a time to do an "E Repair"! as i call it! This Ive done for other people many times all you need is email and a scanner/digital camera and as Chesters says a screwdriver and pair of pliers! (allthough the correct size spanner is better!)

Mitchells really aint that hard to work on.Most repairs I get to do on them (as Colin W mentions) dont even need replacement parts.More often (unless you can see obvious damage) it is a case of a part having been bent out of line (the trip lever in this case is a contender) or parts just needing freeing/cleaning/lubricating. The cost of postage to a "reel doctor" is normally the biggest expence.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!