FF Battery Capacity

paintfly

I was on the water for an average of 6 hrs a day and my battery was crapping out after 4 hrs. This is continuous usage after a full overnight charge on the 3.3Ahm Maplin 12v, as recommended on Anglers Afloat. Personally, I think this is a bit rubbish when the GPS goes on all day on 4 AA rechargables (longer on non-rechargables) So, what does everybody else get out of theirs, are you all just turning it on for a short time and then turning it off again to save power? Have I got a duff battery or are my expectations too high?

I can't coment on it's performance as yet but I have just bought a 27AH golf trolley battery from eBay. Reasonable price and 'relatively' small size. I reckon it should do my FF, GPS and VHF easily..Depending upon initial trials I may also consider fitting an outboard motor:D

Some of this may contain an element of exageration...;)

Edited by finn17

Kayak: Tarpon 140 Angler camo

just multiply the drain by the applience into the capacity of the battery and it will tell you exactly how long it will last.

take into consideration though both the capacity and the drain is an aproximate based on lab conditions (hence unreliable in real life) . also the charge should top the battery completely up so work out the output (in real life) of the charger and adjust accordingly.

also remember some appliencies refuse to work under a certain voltage so a small battery (in capacity) will drop faster (volts wise) than a larger one (volts wise ).

to test for a dud cell charge it fully then unplug ,leave 24hrs then stick a meter on it if its less than 12.5v (preferably more) its dead or dying.

we'l leave out testing it under test conditions it involves electronicy stuff

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I can't coment on it's performance as yet but I have just bought a 27AH golf trolley battery from eBay. Reasonable price and 'relatively' small size. I reckon it should do my FF, GPS and VHF easily..Depending upon initial trials I may also consider fitting an outboard motor:D

Some of this may contain an element of exageration...;)

Yeah that does sound like a lot of power, what's the size and weight?

just multiply the drain by the applience into the capacity of the battery and it will tell you exactly how long it will last.

take into consideration though both the capacity and the drain is an aproximate based on lab conditions (hence unreliable in real life) . also the charge should top the battery completely up so work out the output (in real life) of the charger and adjust accordingly.

also remember some appliencies refuse to work under a certain voltage so a small battery (in capacity) will drop faster (volts wise) than a larger one (volts wise ).

to test for a dud cell charge it fully then unplug ,leave 24hrs then stick a meter on it if its less than 12.5v (preferably more) its dead or dying.

we'l leave out testing it under test conditions it involves electronicy stuff

Thanks for the advice, but that's all way too electronicy for me already (except maybe the meter bit, but I don't have a meter) If I get any feedback on here, which suggests it's a dud, I'll try taking it back to Maplins(if I can find the receipt)

Hi Paintfly

I now have 2 batteries. One 3ah I use for a single session (its light) and a 9ah version that to date has powered my colour ff/gps for over 40hrs continous. Both are Motorbike versions from Halfords. Dont understand all the tech stuff but thats the reality. Both fit in a sandwich box velcroed to the hull.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

is it a gel battery or a acid one ??? (gel are the ones that are sealed)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Mine are lead acid and sealed once full.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hi Paintfly

This guy is worth checking out Re batteries ForBigBoys.com he is also on Ebay. Sorry cant get the link to paste at the moment.

I payed £14 or so for a 7ah SLA and charger. Just recently used it on five consecutive trips without charge.

{ only because I keep forgetting to charge it :rolleyes: } Hope this helps.

Chuggs

Hi Paintfly

This guy is worth checking out Re batteries ForBigBoys.com he is also on Ebay. Sorry cant get the link to paste at the moment.

I payed £14 or so for a 7ah SLA and charger. Just recently used it on five consecutive trips without charge.

{ only because I keep forgetting to charge it :rolleyes: } Hope this helps.

Chuggs

Hi Kev

I use a 7ah sealed lead acid as per picture. I have used it about 3 times (in a w/proof butty box on its side) on full day trips and still had charge left. Only had the FF warn low battery the other day when I forgot to charge it for ages (4 days plus) and it still worked for the final 2 hours I was out after it started warning! (matrix 17). I only power the Matrix off it though! The GPS has its own batteries. It even survived the Yak being turned upside down by someone trying the Yak out (who shall be nameless) ha ha

Cheers mate..........Dave