Boat, safe enough ?

Croix

I have quite a bit of experience fishing large inland lakes from my boat but fancy trying a bit of sea fishing. I was wondering if a 4 metre Orkney Dory with a 25hp engine is considered large enough to use safely around harbours and possibly upto 1 mile offshore in calm conditions. Mainly intend to lurefishing for mackrel, pollack, bass, etc.

Thanks for any opinions.

Sounds very similar to the setup I started with back when I was young and stupid. We definately didn't stay close inshore either. These days I would not be seen dead going to sea in a boat like that, but if you chose your venue and days right it should not be a problem. Calm seas, good forecast and stick to very sheltered places you should be fine...not an ideal craft for sea fishing but if you get to like it you can find some more suitable later.

A thought is to buy a hull and put the 25hp on it to keep the costs down. If you want to see a really iffy boat click the ad link that comes up on this thread for a porta bote...makes a 12ft dory look like the queen mary.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Croix, That is a similar type of boat to what I have, and still use off the Fife coast.....kitted out with a 10hp outboard, for Coalies,Mackeral, and Codling etc. I and about 50 other guys in the two local clubs use them all the time, think they are called Dinghy's...... :P:P but only after fitting Bilge Keels, to make them a lot more stable,they are also being used by the potters too, so cant be that bad. We do however go out in only the best of weather conditions.... .....and they/we only go maybe 1/2 mile offshore.....and always in pairs..... :thumbs:

I take it you have all the safety stuff, radio etc etc......I dont think I would venture out without it..... ;)

I use my other boat for "Proper" fishing.... :D ..so far, we've been up to 9 miles offshore.....but, again, in company.... :thumbs:

All the best, and let us know how you get on.....

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I take it you have all the safety stuff, radio etc etc......I dont think I would venture out without it..... ;)

We have proper lifejackets, flare packs, GPS, and mobiles, but no radio.

Thanks for the opinions and advice. Now I need to find some suitable sheltered venues.

PS, It's 13ft, not that the extra 12" makes much difference :)

Edited by Croix

We have proper lifejackets, flare packs, GPS, and mobiles, but no radio.

Thanks for the opinions and advice. Now I need to find some suitable sheltered venues.

PS, It's 13ft, not that the extra 12" makes much difference :)

I go out with a 14 foot enterprise dinghy plus 5 hp outboard, longer but not as wide as a dory, I fish in Lyme bay pick my weather and have great sport. I often travel about a mile off shore but usually to get the marks that are yards from the shore! I have a phone (in a water proof holder and flares, but no radio. I leave details of when and where I'm going and what time i'll be back. I go out if the forecast is 3 or less or 4 or less if its from the north (unless Ive got the sails in which case it 4 or more!)

Dan

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

morning all. First post, wish me luck....

If you are at sea on a private boat, you should have at least a hand held vhf. Fishing in close especially, you maynot get a signal (cliffs etc). A vhf broadcast (of only a few seconds) can be fairly accuratly, and quickly pin-pointed by the coastguard, a mobile phone signal cannot.

A dsc vhf set (digital select calling) is worth the exta money as it provides the vessel with a panic button facility, which when pressed and held (5 secs) will transmit the vessels ID and last known position (GPS intigrated, or manually entered, say every hour or so) on vhf channel 70 to a coastguard, and every other vhf set within the vhf range (atmosephere dependant - normally about 40nm-ish) The set then changes itself onto channel 16 for you to talk. If you have time to do so. (and on every vessel who recieved the dsc alert)

Get a second hand, hand held VHF in free-adds as a minimum.

Remember to use it for normal ccommunications (other than mayday or pan-pan) is illegal. (low chance of getting caught. I know loads of fishermen who have been fishing all their lives and dont have a short range radio ticket)

It is however important that the know how to use it, and the correct emergency proceedures in case of emergency, either your own vesssel or another in the area; so the course is very worth doing. For yourself and others around you.

Coastguard do not advise the use of mobile phones as there are apperently cases where they have hampered rescue operations. I still take my phone to sea.

Ed.

morning all. First post, wish me luck....

If you are at sea on a private boat, you should have at least a hand held vhf. Fishing in close especially, you maynot get a signal (cliffs etc). A vhf broadcast (of only a few seconds) can be fairly accuratly, and quickly pin-pointed by the coastguard, a mobile phone signal cannot.

A dsc vhf set (digital select calling) is worth the exta money as it provides the vessel with a panic button facility, which when pressed and held (5 secs) will transmit the vessels ID and last known position (GPS intigrated, or manually entered, say every hour or so) on vhf channel 70 to a coastguard, and every other vhf set within the vhf range (atmosephere dependant - normally about 40nm-ish) The set then changes itself onto channel 16 for you to talk. If you have time to do so. (and on every vessel who recieved the dsc alert)

Get a second hand, hand held VHF in free-adds as a minimum.

Remember to use it for normal ccommunications (other than mayday or pan-pan) is illegal. (low chance of getting caught. I know loads of fishermen who have been fishing all their lives and dont have a short range radio ticket)

It is however important that the know how to use it, and the correct emergency proceedures in case of emergency, either your own vesssel or another in the area; so the course is very worth doing. For yourself and others around you.

Coastguard do not advise the use of mobile phones as there are apperently cases where they have hampered rescue operations. I still take my phone to sea.

Ed.

You could do all that but for me it really isnt necessary, in fact there wouldnt be any room for me in the boat! I agree a hand held VHF may be a usefull addition but if you look at my last report http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=64677 and see how deep I was fishing, I could almost walk ashore!! I know I can get a mobile signal everywere I go, I have the harbourmasters number pre programmed and am in sight of the RNLI station at all times. The trick is to assess the risks, I wouldnt dream of going offshore without more equipment. Warm clothing and a lifejacket are however essential!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com