Casting

Elton

:blink:

:rolleyes: still fishing short then mate

Lol I do ok thanks, how far do people think they can put a bait ? Its about the hardest thing to be objective about. My longest chuck on the field is around 200m, take 50m off for a bait and the beach and I reckon thats my max fishing range. I need good conditions to make those distances too. I see and speak to a lot of people who reckon theyre fishing at 150yards when its more likely 80 or 90, difficult to be objective about distances. Back to thread and the top advice is to get a casting instructor, learn to cast well and have the tools in your box when they're needed.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right about the objectivity bit. Often in our club I here the lads say they cast 100 120 or even 150 yards. Ive watched the majority of them cast and not many are in excess of 10-15 yards of myself. When I first went casting with John at Kirkleatham my best was about 120 yards and at that distance I was roughly 40 yards in advance of anything I was doing with a bait on. I have advanced to about 160 yards now and hope one day to do 200. However I know some people who can do 200 on a field and cant cast much further than me on the rocks.

I am a shocking caster but here in Whitby we are lucky enough to be able to say the majority of venues fish best at close range. Just down the coast some of the Scarborough lads are excellent casters and this helps them win a lot of matches on the NE circuit.

I am happy knowing I could always find a fish on a night no matter what conditions prevail.

You are right about the objectivity bit. Often in our club I here the lads say they cast 100 120 or even 150 yards. Ive watched the majority of them cast and not many are in excess of 10-15 yards of myself. When I first went casting with John at Kirkleatham my best was about 120 yards and at that distance I was roughly 40 yards in advance of anything I was doing with a bait on. I have advanced to about 160 yards now and hope one day to do 200. However I know some people who can do 200 on a field and cant cast much further than me on the rocks.

I am a shocking caster but here in Whitby we are lucky enough to be able to say the majority of venues fish best at close range. Just down the coast some of the Scarborough lads are excellent casters and this helps them win a lot of matches on the NE circuit.

I am happy knowing I could always find a fish on a night no matter what conditions prevail.

Thats the trick Glenn, casting is a tool to be used when required. On most of my local beaches (Norfolk / Suffolk) a bit of distance helps though places like Orford Ness you'll find deep water close in and a 50 yard lob will do. If you keep going with the guy at Kirkleatham you'll soon be hitting 200yards consistently. I'm a member of a top club (anglia sportcast) and theres always good advice available at club meets and tournaments and my consistent distance has improved by around 30 yards this year alone. Like I said its not everything but its nice to have, its certainly helping the Scarborough guys isn't it.

:)

Thats the trick Glenn, casting is a tool to be used when required. On most of my local beaches (Norfolk / Suffolk) a bit of distance helps though places like Orford Ness you'll find deep water close in and a 50 yard lob will do. If you keep going with the guy at Kirkleatham you'll soon be hitting 200yards consistently. I'm a member of a top club (anglia sportcast) and theres always good advice available at club meets and tournaments and my consistent distance has improved by around 30 yards this year alone. Like I said its not everything but its nice to have, its certainly helping the Scarborough guys isn't it.

:) your spot on there ,,its handy to be able to get distance when needed :sun: i saw a bloke practicing on my local beach & he had a dummy rig on a up & over clip down with a placky eel on ,,,he reconed it kept his casts straight when he actualy fished prop with bait,,,,,,,,,,so ive been doing the same for a while & he is dead right,,,,,

Ime off to yak skoool,,,,,,no more overruns to get out there,,,,

Posted on behalf of a site visitor - please post all replies to this thread:

The best thing, is find someone who can cast well, and go fishing with them. You can't beat hands on experience to help you, see what you may be doing wrong etc.

It's difficult to put written or verbal 'tips into practice, without help.

If you want to come along to Kirkleatham showground feel free there are usually up to 10 of us there on a thursday night from 5pm onwards , some learning some former/ current tournament casters who are quite willing to give help to anyone who asks . Dont be shy we dont bite ( Well not all of us ) .

If you want to come along drop me a pm so I can make sure someone will be there .

As already stated it is a tool to be used when required, the biggest problem is the tool tends to fade with age :rolleyes:

Then you have a couple of options:

"A" take up boat fishing :lol:

"B" Find a rod that helps your cause.

I fish at range over mainly clean surf beaches and have found the 16' rod has given me back a good few yards that I had lost over the years with wear and tare :rolleyes::lol:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

As already stated it is a tool to be used when required, the biggest problem is the tool tends to fade with age :rolleyes:

Then you have a couple of options:

"A" take up boat fishing :lol:

"B" Find a rod that helps your cause.

I fish at range over mainly clean surf beaches and have found the 16' rod has given me back a good few yards that I had lost over the years with wear and tare :rolleyes::lol:

How do you find your neck holds up,looking up at a rod tip 16' away ? I'm not a fan of "continental" long rods and in honesty most of the italian and spanish lads i know are now using 13' rods and fixed spools. They use stiff rods like zzipy's rung for fixed spools. A good casting trechnique should hold you in good stead even into old age ! In fact a guy I know in his 60's with 1 hip backcasts a 3 hook flapper further than I can put 1 hook clipped down :blink:

How do you find your neck holds up,looking up at a rod tip 16' away ? I'm not a fan of "continental" long rods and in honesty most of the italian and spanish lads i know are now using 13' rods and fixed spools. They use stiff rods like zzipy's rung for fixed spools. A good casting trechnique should hold you in good stead even into old age ! In fact a guy I know in his 60's with 1 hip backcasts a 3 hook flapper further than I can put 1 hook clipped down :blink:

I always stand alongside the rod and even a six inch bass will give it a good rattle :lol: one other thing I noted was I am hooking more fish and this is not down to me. The rod has a very springy action and more often than not has set the hook before my hand touches the butt. Last time out I was walking back with rod and bag as the tide chased me in and had a bite with the rod laying over my shoulder, by the time I was sorted the fish was well hooked. :lol:

You are right about technique but with the best will in the world I will never equal my ability of casting twenty years ago with out some form of help.

This new rod has put me back on track, would admit it would not suit everyone and is not best suited for a bit of wandering along the beach as I often do, but for me the positives out weigh the negatives.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist