Hi all! any help total beginner needs assistance if thats ok?

megocorp

Hi everyone, suppose i just need some advice please.

I'm a complete beginner at 32 years old. I live very close to Himley Hall in the West Midlands and i always see people fishing when i'm out and about on my bike. I suppose for the same reasons i would like to try fishing by the pools etc.

I fished in the sea a little as a child but have no experience at all. I dont have any friends who fish so i cannot tag along etc. was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of a decent beginners set, nothing to pricey or real tat either. I have been toying with the idea for some time now and i believe that with books and the internet i should be still able to enjoy myself.

I have two very young kids and need to get out on me own. Anyway anyone got any ideas or any links to any good sites by me. Any advice? What would i need etc been looking at the bits and bobs in (Ahem) Argos and there looks to be loads of bits, im not daft enough to think its gonna be world class but for a beginner can anyone recommend anything?

Sorry to bombard but really keen.

Thanks for now.

Hi megocorp and welcome to AnglersNet.

Sorry I can't help (American who wandered in here years ago and never left but our fishing is too different than yours) but there are plenty who can and will.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Megocorp

one of the main things to buy is your rod licence.

(from the Post Office, or can be purchased online).

next is the rod and reel.

i'd go for a 12foot float rod to begin with.

and a reel loaded with 4lb line.

a small selection of floats, weights, and hooks. (barbless are easiest to remove, and must be used on some venues)

a plummet is important to check the depth.

attach float onto line at an estimate depth of what you think the water is.

just place on line with a small weight on each side of the floats line ring.

tie on a hook on the end, and place plummet through the hole and stick the hook in the underside cork.

cast into the water

if the float goes under, you need to put more distance between the float and hook.

if it lies on the surface you need to bring the float nearer towards the hook.

what you're aiming for is to have the float stood up in the water with a bit of the tip showing above the surface.

take off the plummet and then fix the weights onto the line to make the float stand up, most are within the bottom 1/3 of the distance from the hook and float,this way you can tell if a fish has taken the bait during its descent.

the float won,t stand up as it should.

you then know your bait is on the bottom.

also needed is a disgorger (or forceps), landing net and handle, bait tub or 3, bait (maggots, worm, tinned sweetcorn i started with, and some places have a rule that tins are not allowed on the bank, and must be in bait boxes) a tackle box (i used a video cassette case for years when i started :D ), deck chair , brolly , rod rest or 2.

that's about it really to start with.

make sure you have permission to fish the venue , or have a day ticket, club membership etc.

always carry your licence and venue permit (membership card, day ticket) at all times

(failure to do so can lead to a hefty fine).

good luck with your new hobby

:)

Edited by CHEWY49
IPB Image

Guest Ferret1959

I'd wait untill one of the fine lads or ladesses offers to take you out for the day.

Plenty on here from the Midlands.

Try before you buy I'd say.

You can get a one day license so no need to waste any cash if you don't like it.

Your situation sounds exactly like mine! Was out on the bike, and saw folks fishing, looks great huh? :)

Well, as others have said, you need a license. But I can't recommond anywhere to fish, as I am "darn sarf".

I was told to get a feeder rod, a reel, some hooks, some feeders. A couple of pints of maggots, some line.

A box for the maggots (obviously) :)

I spent 90 quid in total + the 24 quid for the license. I imagine the Argos stuff is ok. I looked at the cheap stuff in Tesco's. And I would not buy this even for my kids.

Although I bought a 6 quid rucksack in Tesco, that had a hand "stool" built in, so I can take my tackle in the rucksack to fish, and sit on the stool :) yay

The reason the chap told me to go for feeder fishing, is that I was river fishing with ample fish in the Thames.

Its also alot less "technical" than float fishing, which you upgrade to once you know the ropes.

I would say (if you see my post elsewhere with "my thoughts on *your* hobby" in the title) that it is not easy to get going without at least some tuition. The guys in the shop assume so much as they have been doing it so long. I only found out yesterday that threading your line through the reel has a right side up, or upside down.

(And I still don't know what the switch is for under my reel :) )

My advice is to go into a tackle shop. I have found all the fishy folk I've spoken to more than willing to explain to novices how to get going. In the shops they are like drug dealers, they know one fish and your as hook as the fish itself, and you will be back buying more stuff :) They all seem very decent folk, just like other cyclists :)

I got a book today called "The Complete Guide to Fishing Skills". By Tony Whieldon

ISBN 1-84188-167-8

Seems very useful ! Some very basic instruction but its just what I need.

Also check out the Discover Realtime podcast, they only have 1 so far, but its a good one.

I've been fishing 3 days on the trot now, my results are:

- 1 x 2 hour session in Weybridge - 1 9 inch fish after 6 casts (alot of them birdsnests :-) )

- 1 x 3 hour Aldenham resevoir, 6 casts, no fish, all 4 feeders lost, but I learn tons with 0 fish

- 1 x 2 hour session tonight, 4 casts, only 1 lost feeder. I caught a fish and used the degoudger tool thing on my brand new unhooking mat to let the little blighter go, on Laleham Thames section

I am a complete numpty, yet even I managed it. So I would say go for it. Its so relaxing, and much more active than it seems. I had visions of falling asleep, but I dont even know where the hours go, its fab.

:-)

Hope some of that is useful

Steve Hi in fact hi to all who answered your advice is great. Back to Steve i found and read your post about 20 mins after i posted mine! i couldnt believe it, it would appear we are living the same life well a little bit anyway. Got two girls so theres a difference. I found your post very funny indeed, you have the same outlook as myself which is to try and have some fun and relaxation. I'm glad your still at it and again thanks for your advice.

I popped into a shop this morining in West Bromwich the guy in there was really sound and gave me loads of advice. He said if i spent about £70 quid i would be ready to go if i wanted to spend a little more then obviousley i could. He said he would show me how to set up and basically how to go about a few things. This is what i needed, the shop was empty and he was very approachable. I had visions of wandering in for advice and about eight guys in waders turning around..the record scratched to a halt and i feel a twa$.

Not the case, Now all i need to do is convince the enemy!

Cheers all.

Welcome to the Forum!

I can't help specifically with what tackle to buy as I'm out of touch with the market now. However, there's many here who'll have specific recommendations.

One item I'll add to the list already given is an unhooking mat - this should cost well less than a tenner. In fact even some pegged down bubblewrap will do at a pinch. Unhooking mats are kinder on the fish, and as a result many fisheries now insist on them.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The good thing about an unhooking mat, from my 1 use of one, is that it is easy to wipe down to get rid of the fish slime :)

The downside is, the paddedness makes it bulky to carry (if you are on a bike like I am)

But, I will take mine. It was 10 quid from a shop in Dorking. S C Fuller

I'd get one of those, and degorger thing. I caught a fish last night (tiny) and the hook was so far down i would not have been able to get at it with my fingers.

Anyway, stay out of my parallel universe... Hmmmmm 'kay?

Steve Chertsey & megocorp - glad to hear that you have both found fishing and AnglersNet.

If it's any comfort, I've been fishing for nearly 60 years but in different conditions than yours so when Jan & I visited the UK in May, we needed as much instruction as any brand new angler.

Sounds like both of you are well on your way to a hobby that satisfies for a lifetime.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Himley hall fairly good place to fish only £4.40 for day ticket. Some lovely crucian carp in there, tench, roach, pike, bream, perch, opens at 7am in morn. I caught other day there on worms couple of crucians around 2lb mark, a tench around 3.5lbs and roach and perch.

Have fun fishing

Bob