newbie - tempt me!

chaz62

Evening all, newbie from north cornwall, have been shore fishing for 2 years with some (not enough) success and only recently heard of kayak fishing. Have been reading some threads to pick up info but obviously will ask plenty of questions, not totally sure if I can go down this path for fishing so any advice would be welcome and may need an excuse to start spending money (can't spend it all on the other half) so go on tempt me ....

hhhjl2.th.jpg hhaws4.th.jpg dscf0045vl2.th.jpg

getting tempted yet?

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Hi Chaz,

You wont regrett taking the plunge.

I won't lie to you its expencive to get into and to get to the pimp out level some of these guys are at will cost you over a grand. Its cost me over €1500 so far but thats for everything Fish finder, GPS, Rod holders, Wetsuit, P13, Paddle, C-Tug Trolly, Safety equipment Etc. You should start with the basic's the Yak and saftey equipment, you have to justify all the rest of the stuff to herself. I used safety as a means to justify GPS and the Fish finder and I bought all the rest by blaming the Higher Archy on this forum every time a parcel landed :yeah: Sorry Guys :lol: but it worked for me.

Last Xmas I didn't know that a Yak was a boat always though it was a large hairy woolly foreign cow thing. So don't be afraid of been new to the Yak world these sit on yaks are easy to get the hang of and with some safety equipment are perfectly safe. Couple this with a bit of fear and some good common sence and you should never go wrong.

Convinced Yet..... No then picture this....

You're shore fishing off a ledge of rocks it a little overcast but lovely and warm the fish should be bitting but you've caught none. Whats the first thing that goes through ur mind.....

"If only I could cast that little bit further!"

Then comes another angler who is full of advice "Critic" ur using the wrong bait, colour, rig or if u were hear last week you would have caught. Sound familiar. What happens but u go home fishless with ur head wrecked from listening to S**t.

Now if u had a Yak u could fish out as far as u want or as close and all those inaccessable spots that have played on ur mind "Bet there's fish there". No Critic blabbering in ur lug givin u a :wallbash::wallbash: .

You'll be free to do ur thing and all u will hear is the sounds of the ocean coupled with some good weather it won't matter if u catch fish, but I'd bet you will catch a lot more fish.

Good Luck in whatever u decide.

Greywulff

Greywulff

I Don't care who you are... You're not walking on water while I'm Fishing!

Prowler 13 Angler

Also look at Boat Fishing Monthly - the only mag to regularly publish kayak fishing features.

There are some basic skills which you should learn before fishing - being able to control your kayak EFECTIVELY will make you enjoy it far more and you will be safer. I am sure most of the chaps starting to kayak fish saw it as a way to reach fish inaccessible to shore anglers - others are boat anglers downsizing due to the cost of runnig a boat. Both of these groups just saw the kayak as a means to end - and I'll wager 90% of them now actually enjoy the paddling aspect as much as their fishing and look forward just to go kayaking - taking some fishing gear with them and then doing some serious fishing. It gets to you - be warned, it can become obsessive (ask Richi and Phooey!)

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I never thought that a picture like this would be me, it is!

Just do it! Life is short and what happens in it is up to you.

You shouldn't need to be persuaded, if you felt a little like I did in that photo you wouldn't have needed to ask the question! S~U~P~E~R~B

SDD~~~~~~ :sun:

Thanks for all your replies, advice and great pics, my appetite is gaining. I will be back soon with lots of

questions and maybe hope to meet someone local (ish) to look at how a yak is set up with all the gear.

cheers