Deep hooked fish/Gemini disgorger

Westie

Last session I caught a fine dab, but unfortunately deep hooked. In fact, the hook was only just visible. I wanted to return the fish (as I do with 99% of what I catch) and I did not want to kill the poor critter in the process of retrieving the hook

I've got a gemini disgorger, but have never had to use it before. New to fishing and I can't say that it was a great success, but it might be that there is a very simple technique to using it or that I wasn't firm enough with it, for fear of damaging the fish. :confused:

In the end, I thought it was probably kinder to cut the snood and let nature take its course with the hook.

Obviously deep hooked fish do happen now and again and I'd be grateful for any tips on dealing with the problem or alternatively if I was somehow missing the point with the disgorger.

As always, your advice will be gratefully received. santa frosty santa frosty :D

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Hiya,

For the price of a hook,it would have been better just to cut the line, providing you are using small fine wire hooks.

On bigger hooks, probably the best disgorger I have ever used is the one Alan Taylor was selling.. absolutly fantastic bit of kit and so simple to use.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

The Gemini Disgorger is more like a T-Bar - using things like disgorgers, when you don't know or havn't been shown how can cause more bad than good.

You probably did the right thing in snipping off the hook and returning the fish.

Agree with Davy - Alan's disgorgers are brilliant pieces of kit.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Alan, Re your disgorgers, I aleady have one that I use, but want one for the boat,(that can stay on it),could you put up the address for them again please, I did a search,but must be looking in the wrong place..... :)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Alan - any info on where I could get one of these disgorgers would be very gratefully received! :)

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Westie:

Alan - any info on where I could get one of these disgorgers would be very gratefully received! :)

Hi there Westie, if you click on my signature all the info should come up, for Plaice or small species I would go for the coarse fishing one, for Cod and Doggies the sea fishing one.

Thanks for the references lads :D

Just out of hospital (Scan ) and off to work, I will answer your pm's and emails in the morning.

Cheers

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/