What braid you Recommend?

DanIOW

This is my first post on here so firstly hi all!

I am after some new braid to replace the decrepit old Dylon I have been using for some years. The braid will be used only for boat fishing on a shimano twin power 10-20lb class rod and TLD5 reel, so ideally I am after 18-20lb test.

I have not been fishing that much recently and feel a bit out of touch so what braid would recommend? I head the Spiderwire and whiplash products are supposed to be good?

Cheers

Dan

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fireline!! First, second and always!! Discolours a bitand LOOKS to fray but had same line on now as a test for over 3 years and STILL as good as it was when it went on!! Well it is a bit sad looking BUT you KNOW what I mean! :P

And it is a 30Lb BS. Smoke Grey.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

This is my first post on here so firstly hi all!

I am after some new braid to replace the decrepit old Dylon I have been using for some years. The braid will be used only for boat fishing on a shimano twin power 10-20lb class rod and TLD5 reel, so ideally I am after 18-20lb test.

I have not been fishing that much recently and feel a bit out of touch so what braid would recommend? I head the Spiderwire and whiplash products are supposed to be good?

Cheers

Dan

:clap2: I've got Dynon that's been in use for over 10 years and never been broken by a fish. It's a bit thicker than the more modern braids though. I hate the Penn blue fluffy string but I've heard it's better now but I'll take some convincing, it was so bad for so long. Spiderwire is great but expensive here, much cheaper in the states. My favourite used to be Ron Thompson Dynacable but they changed its format and I don't like the new stuff as much. I hear the ' PowerPro' stuff from Snowbee is ok too but not tried it yet.

I don't think you can beat Whiplash on price at the moment if you shop around. If you want larger spools than 300 yards look at Shakespeare, they're doing 550 yard spools, and Sharnbrook tackle do 600 yard plus spools. I personally don't use less than 300 yards and prefer 500 plus. :clap2:

Guest muttley

Hi Dan and welcome to anglers net.........Although i've never used braid ( i'm in uptide territory ) i've heard nothing but good reports about fireline. Anything from Berkely can't be bad.

I can only endorse the Fireline threads. I have used a few braids over the years and now only use Fireline. Yes it does look a bit manky after a few months but its performance we need not bright colours and it has never let me down. I use 50lb for wrecking and 25/30 for everything else

Hi Dan, Welcome mate to AN, well, heres another one for you...PowerPro, its all I use, and its superb...easy to tie, its round and doesnt bed in ,and it can be cast as well.... :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Having tried them all in very testing circumstances, my humble opinion is that the current PowerPro is the best.

I say "current", because two generations ago it did tend to lose its colour, but it doesn't do that anymore.

Edited by Cranfield

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "