Feeder fishing in fast or deep rivers

The Flying Tench

My understanding is that when feeder fishing such rivers you need to let out a big loop of line, and try and balance the feeder by raising or lowering the rod tip and hope for drop-back bites. I tried this this afternoon on the Thames and caught some tiny gudgeon, so I must have been doing something right. But I didn't get full drop-backs (just an inch or so) so I assume the feeder wasn't properly balanced.

Three queries:

1) Is it possible to 'clip up' using this method? The obvious difficulty is that, having a big loop of line, if you clipped up after letting out the loop, when you cast next you would overshoot by miles. The obvious answer to the question is 'no', but I wondered if anyone had adapted the approach in some way?

2) I didn't find it easy to get the feeder balanced. I read somewhere that when the feeder first lands you would expect the rod tip to bounce for a while till it settled, but I didn't find this happened with any regularity. Any tips?

3) Is the approach generally used for all sizes of bait?

Thanks

J

john clarke

My understanding is that when feeder fishing such rivers you need to let out a big loop of line, and try and balance the feeder by raising or lowering the rod tip and hope for drop-back bites. I tried this this afternoon on the Thames and caught some tiny gudgeon, so I must have been doing something right. But I didn't get full drop-backs (just an inch or so) so I assume the feeder wasn't properly balanced.

Three queries:

1) Is it possible to 'clip up' using this method? The obvious difficulty is that, having a big loop of line, if you clipped up after letting out the loop, when you cast next you would overshoot by miles. The obvious answer to the question is 'no', but I wondered if anyone had adapted the approach in some way?

2) I didn't find it easy to get the feeder balanced. I read somewhere that when the feeder first lands you would expect the rod tip to bounce for a while till it settled, but I didn't find this happened with any regularity. Any tips?

3) Is the approach generally used for all sizes of bait?

Thanks

J

I don't know the Thames John, but I'll have a go for ya.

1. Yes you could clip up and still fish for drop backs. The only way you will get no loop or bow in your line when fishing a deep fast river is by casting down stream to the clip holding the rod forward of the rest while the feeder settles and then tightening the line by pulling the rod back to the rest.

If you do the complete opposite (cast up stream and keep the rod back from your rest while the feeder settles), you should get lots of loop/bow in the line even when clipped up. If you want a very big loop/bow in your line, cast from well back from your rod rest, let the feeder settle and then walk or step back forwards to your rest.

2. On a fast river I tend to just have my rod tip up John, to keep as much line out of the water. To balance the feeder you will need to alter its weight. Keep going lighter till it does move a bit.

3. I'm not sure bait size makes any difference, but its not really a tiddler method as its a bit bolt riggy and a little gudeon might not be able to move the feeder much even with the help of the flow.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I don't think we've got any rivers deep enough or fast enough to require those sorts of tactics unless you're trying to fish them while they're in full spate and are insisting on trying to fish the middle.

A 60 or 80g feeder, thin braided mainline and a rod tip positioned high to keep as much line as possible out of the water will generally see you right. If it's still moving, you can stick another 50g on the feeder but you will probably have to change the rod over to a carp rod or similar.

This is certainly the method employed by most of the guys chasing barbell on the Severn where they might be looking at 3m of fast moving water.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

It certainly works on the Thames. The flow doesn't have to be that strong for it to work, you just need less weight to get the balance.

There are 3 things that can be adjusted to get the balance right, so the feeder just holds:

1. The weight of the feeder

2. The amount of line you let out in the bow

3. The height of the rod tip

Adjusting one or more of these should eventually get the right balance, but it can be difficult in some swims. When it works though, the bites are really pronounced and hard to miss.

It's a method I'm still learning, but I really like it. Hopefully Mark Wintle will see this, he was a great help when I asked similar questions a while back.

(PS bait size is not a factor, and I wouldn't clip up as it restricts your freedom when it comes to paying out line. No two casts are exactly the same.)

(PPS this is also my standard method of legering for chub, but with swan shot on a link rather than a feeder. Cast out, keep paying out line until the rig stays put, and then bites are usually very confident as the chub dislodge the light weight, and never directly feel the tension of the tip,)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Add in differing line diameters! Don't clip up - learn to cast. I prefer the MOVING feeder for roach on the Thames but traffic/conditions making it a non-starter so far this winter but trying it on the Stour has brought some fish. For a lot of detail on the method you'll have to read Big Roach 2 which has a chapter on the Thames.

Add in differing line diameters! Don't clip up - learn to cast. I prefer the MOVING feeder for roach on the Thames but traffic/conditions making it a non-starter so far this winter but trying it on the Stour has brought some fish. For a lot of detail on the method you'll have to read Big Roach 2 which has a chapter on the Thames.

Aha! I believe Santa has given me Big Roach 1 this year, so from what you say BR2 won't be too far distant!

Thanks everyone for helpful replies.

john clarke