bbc the trawlermen

bensrus

theres always going to be ongoing discussions about the affect that commercial trawlers are having on the depletion of threatened fish stocks.

but after watching the first episode tonight,i for one (and im sure many of you would agree)wouldnt do there job for any amount of money,definatley a danger money job!!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres always going to be ongoing discussions about the affect that commercial trawlers are having on the depletion of threatened fish stocks.

but after watching the first episode tonight,i for one (and im sure many of you would agree)wouldnt do there job for any amount of money,definatley a danger money job!!!

if arthur scargill thought the miners had a hard job how often did he think of trawlermen while he was eating his cod & chips

Whatever it is they earn every penny, at least the few that are left in Peterhead :(

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Bin there done that and the money is either s***e or brilliant worst i had was 12 days at sea (with one period of 48 hours on deck fell asleep waiting for the trawl door) and took home the wonderful sum of £110 before tax that comes out at about 38p an hour :lol: dont do that any more :lol::lol:

Cats are mean critters but they taste great, they're a shore caught species in Norway / Iceland where theres deep water close in.

Don't be fooled by the hard luck stories. As a kid in Grimsby, I saw so much fishing money "enjoyed" by the fishermen on shore, and if they didn't make a living they wouldn't do it would they? To be honest you've got to be tapped to go, you could probably earn as much a year stacking shelves for a fraction of the risk.

Personally I'd be happy if they don't make a living, I'd still be able to enjoy fish and chips knowing it was from a sustainable, well managed fishery.

Personally I'd be happy if they don't make a living, I'd still be able to enjoy fish and chips knowing it was from a sustainable, well managed fishery.

How does that work then?

I fish to live and live to fish.

How does that work then?

Maybe hes a crew man on the starship enterprize and can eat holograms :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

How does that work then?

I'll eat imported fish from well managed fisheries, like I mostly do now. You can't beat Icelandic Haddock, a few chips and mushy's.

As somebody with a commercial interest you know that the demand in the UK cannot be met by home caught fish and the vast majority of our table fish is caught by Russian, Icelandic and Norwegian trawlers. Its weird 'cos I remember it like yesterday. All the local newspapers were full of doom and gloom about the demise of the fishing industry, yet the port (Grimsby) still handles fish, unemployment is lower than it was in the 70's when we were still fishing Icelandic waters, at the time I thought the world was going to end, it never did. I wonder how many lives were saved through redundancy ? Like mining or steel works, life changes but it always goes on.

Edited by Holmesy