BBC's Trawlermen

ColinW

Guest challenge
Why should I? My opinion of commercial fishermen is fine thanks.

Absolutely, what with your vast experiences within the fishing industry and therefore your unbiased views, I would say that your opinions are just about fine Steve.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely, what with your vast experiences within the fishing industry and therefore your unbiased views, I would say that your opinions are just about fine Steve.

Well here is a man who knows absolutely nothing about commercial fishing, who is prepared to blame all the "problems with fish stocks" entirely on commercial fishermen and implies that the fishermen involved in the filming for the BBC are liars.

And you say his opinions are just about fine. I hope you were using irony here!

"I fish therefore I am"

Guest challenge
Well here is a man who knows absolutely nothing about commercial fishing, who is prepared to blame all the "problems with fish stocks" entirely on commercial fishermen and implies that the fishermen involved in the filming for the BBC are liars.

And you say his opinions are just about fine. I hope you were using irony here!

Post-modern Irony with a capital I captain.

Hello Mr Challenge,

I do have a fair bit of experience of the commercial fish industry all be it on a local level.

The commercial fishermen do have a propaganda campaign at present, it is part of their defence against the anglers campaign to try and get things changed. They have leaflets in fish n chip shops, and articles in the Fishing News about the anglers campaign.

Local charter skippers that are out spoken on conservation have had heaps of dead smoothound dumped on his boat. Anglers now often get abuse from passing commercial boats while they are beach fishing.

I have worked on a commercial fishing boat targeting bass in the summer and herrings in the winter, now there are very few herring and a lot less bass than there was then (1990 till 1999) so where have they gone, have they vanished into thin air? No they have been caught at 36cm, not even allowing then to reproduce themselves even once.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Guest challenge
Hello Mr Challenge,

I do have a fair bit of experience of the commercial fish industry all be it on a local level.

The commercial fishermen do have a propaganda campaign at present, it is part of their defence against the anglers campaign to try and get things changed. They have leaflets in fish n chip shops, and articles in the Fishing News about the anglers campaign.

Local charter skippers that are out spoken on conservation have had heaps of dead smoothound dumped on his boat. Anglers now often get abuse from passing commercial boats while they are beach fishing.

I have worked on a commercial fishing boat targeting bass in the summer and herrings in the winter, now there are very few herring and a lot less bass than there was then (1990 till 1999) so where have they gone, have they vanished into thin air? No they have been caught at 36cm, not even allowing then to reproduce themselves even once.

I understand your frustrations, but when you say commercial fishermen do you mean all commercial fishermen (including the ones that where involved in the BBC programme) or just the ones in your area?

There certainly is not a campaign of that nature going off in this part of the world.

But that could change if they (commercial fishermen) keep getting unprovoked attacks like the ones that have been pointed out to me on here in recent times. Made by anglers and charter skippers alike.

Regards John

I reckon that Mr challenge and captain sensible are either a bit too touchy for their own good, or are just looking for an argument. Argue away lads, I've heard it all before. The commercial fishermen that I have met in person don't seem half as sensitive as you two. I've learnt plenty from them, and taken on board some of what they have told me. I even agree with some of what Steve Good has posted on this forum. I haven't read much from you two that has swayed my opinion though.

Perhaps you should chill out a bit?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Guest challenge
I reckon that Mr challenge and captain sensible are either a bit too touchy for their own good, or are just looking for an argument. Argue away lads, I've heard it all before. The commercial fishermen that I have met in person don't seem half as sensitive as you two. I've learnt plenty from them, and taken on board some of what they have told me. I even agree with some of what Steve Good has posted on this forum. I haven't read much from you two that has swayed my opinion though.

Perhaps you should chill out a bit?

Don’t think I want to sway your opinion Steve.

As for chilling out?

Strange how people can attack an industry, accuse that industry of being full of liars and cheats. Then when questioned or challenged by people who also have opinions,we are told to chill out. Then we are told that we are more sensitive than active commercial fishermen you have met in person.

When you spoke to them did you speak to them the same way as you speak about them on this forum? Maybe if you did, asking them to chill would have been too little to late?

Don’t think I want to sway your opinion Steve.

As for chilling out?

Strange how people can attack an industry, accuse that industry of being full of liars and cheats. Then when questioned or challenged by people who also have opinions,we are told to chill out. Then we are told that we are more sensitive than active commercial fishermen you have met in person.

When you spoke to them did you speak to them the same way as you speak about them on this forum? Maybe if you did, asking them to chill would have been too little to late?

Blah, blah, blah........ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :yawn:

The commercial fishermen I've met have also had a sense of humour. Something you seem to be lacking. Those big yellow laughing cartoons are the best I can do to portray laughter. Not my fault if you can't grasp that.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

There is a hell of a lot of m,oney to be made at time from commercial fishing both legally and illegally.

The sales of black fish, like fish taken after the quota is reached and undersized fish is worth so much that a lot of commercials can not afford to be straight.

I have heard that some fishing families that go back generations are worth millions,(although most are bankrupt due to no fish) this money was earnt from the sea and is now being used to fund the propergander campaign.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!