which rods/reels

chaz62

While still deciding which yak to go for, need advice on which rods you normally take out.

Do you go for general boat rods, something like 12-20lb class or something longer?. I have yet to get

myself a boat rod so killing 2 birds as they say. On the reel front I have fixed spools and multis, other than spinnig would you use a fixed for trolling? cheers

Hi Chas,

Personally(and these are only my thoughts) Even for beginning I think you certainly need more than one rod.I like my little solid carbon fladen maxximus (too small for some but I've managed a few big fish around the bow) and I also have a decent spinning rod,which at 11' is way too big! The ideal would be a spinning rod of 8' poss 9' and a trolling multiplier rod of 7'-7'6"(fladen do a nice one which isn't solid carbon but still strong/light enough for fun)

Have a nice season ,

Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

12-20lb class will handle practically anything we're likely to encounter including conger tope and minnow. For myself, boat rod/s with multipliers and a spinning rod with fixed spool works out well.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

The most important things to bear in mind when choosing a rod for the kayak is the length of handle, anything that goes much past your elbow when casting will get in your way and the need to be able to clear bow and stern with the line; so if you have short arms and a 15ft kayak you will need a longer rod than somebody built like an ape paddling a Caper.

I use a 12 lb class 7' 6" boat rod with multiplier and rods of various length up to 9' for flyfishing, spinning/plugging and a 6ft for feathering,

Whatever you choose remember to look after your gear at the end of a session, everything is more prone to wear and tear, especially if you launch through surf, somebody mentioned reel covers on here once, a good idea for those paddling beach breaks. Think the IMAX ones are only £2.99.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

The most important things to bear in mind when choosing a rod for the kayak is the length of handle, anything that goes much past your elbow when casting will get in your way and the need to be able to clear bow and stern with the line; so if you have short arms and a 15ft kayak you will need a longer rod than somebody built like an ape paddling a Caper.

Thanks All for the replies, thats one I didn't think about SM, don't worry about looking after my kit,

I treat it all like my offspring, fresh water showered and dried after each outing (pampered more than the other half!! don't tell her that though).

One more thing, should I go for a 1 or 2 peice rod? cheers

i have a 12lb class boat rod and abu 7000c ,plus a 9ft spin/plug rod plus a scierra salt fly rod . a good mixed bunch . unfortuantly i have not caught off the yak yet .done a lot of paddling but i must be cursed or the yellow frightens them . had dolphins the other week hence no fish . tried st cathrines bay and la rocque both clear water no fish .will keep on trying i do not give in easily lol

:)

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Hi Trev

Dont worry about the colour its just a black blob against a bright sky to a fish.

The fish will come just use a bit of water craft to find them.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hi Trev

Dont worry about the colour its just a black blob against a bright sky to a fish.

The fish will come just use a bit of water craft to find them.

thanks for the vote of confidence ,at least the yak handling is getting better.will keep on trying

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Jerseytrev,

For what it's worth, my advice would be, pick a mark, chuck the anchor over (if it's safe to do so) fish with the simplest rig you can think of (just a baited hook if possible) and be "PATIENT". Paddling about from mark to mark just makes your arms ache :) Success will be yours before long, I PROMISE!!!!!!!!!!!

nifty

JerseyTrev,

What are you using for most of your fishing, bait, flies, plugs or spinners.

To get over your blanking, why not get a set of hokai's or sabiki's, small bream size ones, they look tiny, but they are lethal, drop them to the bottom and let them bounce on the bottom and give a quick lift and drop, bounce along you will soon hook up if the fish are about. I alway keep a packet of these little devils if there is fear of a blank or when hunting for bait fish.

Once your over your blank, the fish will be flocking the kayak.

Fly fishing I've had a lot of success with the Schminnow tied on a size 6 hook, again tiny but will catch you fish when all else fails.

Plugs, got loads, never caught a thing on any of them, plenty of people do though. Spinners, only one I have any faith in is the Dexter Wedge, but have recently bought some thin eel type metal lures which are meant to be the business, will tell you if they work in a couple of weeks.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com