losing carp

bensrus

having started coarse fishing last summer,im pretty happy with my regular trips,but what i do seem to have a problem with is the amount of carp im losing,on yesterdays trip, fishing pellet and corn together,i hooked 7 and lost 6!!, iwas fishing 10lb leader with size 10 kamesan hooks,admitdlley i was broken by one i estimated to be 20lb+,but the rest just came off,any ideas?? :wallbash:

Can you take a picture of your rig and post it here?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

OI OI,

first of all DONT use cheap hook's as the carp will get shot of them to easy, make sure you change your hook regulary some people think they can use the same hook all season but you can't I KNOW i used to be one of them people & lost some loverly carp,

secondly if the carp are feeding in ernest they will hook themself's most of the time. if you do strike try lifting your rod upwards rather than a sideward strike i have more fish this way,

thirdly dont worry to much about it your ratio is a bit high but remember your not on your own WE ALL MISS FISH hope this help's

BILL

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

the only advice i can give before you post the foto of your "business end",is to increse the size of the hook to 8 or 7 at least.

What rods are you using?-are they stiff?For general carp fishing you dont need nothing stiffer than 2.5 lb test curve.

the only advice i can give before you post the foto of your "business end",is to increse the size of the hook to 8 or 7 at least.

What rods are you using?-are they stiff?For general carp fishing you dont need nothing stiffer than 2.5 lb test curve.

thanks all for the advice,what exactly is lb test curve of a rod,and how much would i expect to pay for a half decent carp rod?

Bensrus,you will no doubt not like my reply but I mean no offence by it.

What you are doing wrong is fishing for big fish before you are experienced enough to! A common thing these days and you are by no means alone.If you were "ready" to fish for large carp you would have gained the skills/knowledge required to land such fish.This would have all been learned gradually by first catching small fish and slowly working your way up.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

having started coarse fishing last summer,im pretty happy with my regular trips,but what i do seem to have a problem with is the amount of carp im losing,on yesterdays trip, fishing pellet and corn together,i hooked 7 and lost 6!!, iwas fishing 10lb leader with size 10 kamesan hooks,admitdlley i was broken by one i estimated to be 20lb+,but the rest just came off,any ideas?? :wallbash:

have you tried hair rigging with a 2inch hair, that might work.

Edited by kempo

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I go with Budgie on this one. When you have to ask what the test curve is then perhaps you are not ready for the big stuff. But at least you have asked, a step in the right direction.

£50.00 will buy a perfectly good rod. The test curve is basically a matter of how much pull does it need to bend a rod.

Open this link:-

http://www.harrisonrods.co.uk/Testcurve.htm

Edited by Peter Waller

I go with Budgie on this one. When you have to ask what the test curve is then perhaps you are not ready for the big stuff. But at least you have asked, a step in the right direction.

£50.00 will buy a perfectly good rod. The test curve is basically a matter of how much pull does it need to bend a rod.

yes peter has highlighted a good point there, if your rod is to stiff and the fish are lightly hooked you can in theory tare the hook from there lips.

now a longer hair will avoid light hooking as the hook will be well inside the carps mouth.

and hair rigging is a tad cheaper than a new rod.

Edited by kempo

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

i agree with merlino bill....

ensure all hookpoints are absolutley sharp...if in any doubt replace them

prepare all hooklinks at home in an unhurried environment to ensure they are of the best quality

good luck

<')Andy<