Best fishing country

The Flying Tench

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canada aint in Europe mate!!!!!!!!!! :-],This is a really hard question,one that can"t be answered unless you"ve had the experience of fishing in various countries yourself?.But for what its worth here"s my pennies worth based on experience and what i"ve read

General coarse fishing=UK

Game fishing=TAKE YOUR PICK FROM ANY SCANDINAVIAN VENUE.

Pike fishing=SWEDEN.

"Dont **** in the pool,and then tell me you"ve swallowed some water".

General coarse fishing in my experience is Germany.

Paul

Simon you really must have a coarse fishing trip to Europe mate!England is definately the poor relation here!

Like Paul I too rate Germany,you wouldnt believe the standard of general coarse fishing that is avaiable.Denmark is obviousley up there to.A little further away (but a lot cheaper than either of the first two !) is Czechoslovakia.Great coarse fishing be it foe general or specimen fish.France can begood but is a bit patchy so you have to know where to go!I only know Spains coarse fishing from my time spent on the Ebro.A bit like fishing a "commercial carp river"! great standard of sport but not (in the areas Ive fished anyway) much variation.Only water Ive fished in Italy is the Po and this was right down on the Delta.Havnt ever taken any gear other than the Cat stuff so can only say what Ive seen and been told by people there.It certainly has some VERY big carp and the general fishing potential looks good with the Po also having its own species of roach.

For Pike then forget all the silly stories of massive pike in France ,Germany,Holland etc etc there are only two places to travel for these thats Swerden and Ireland.England comes quite high on the predator list.Most European countries have waters that have some huge fish in but cause they eat/kill most predators its hard going.Anyone who doubts this just ask yourself why Ireland is so full of Europeans on piking holidays!

Got very little experience of Trout in Europe and sadly none of Salmon.Will say once again though look at the amount of Europeans who travel to both England and Ireland for still water trout fishing.Northern France has good (and relatively cheap) river fishing for them. :)

[ 05. February 2005, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The reason I asked about Europe rather than the world is that elsewhere you get very different species, and I thought it might be hard to compare.

Interesting to hear from Budgie's experience. What about Iceland, which I count as Europe? I heard somewhere that they are out of this world for salmon fishing. I wonder if you get other species there in abundance?

john clarke

The Flying Tench:

What about Iceland, which I count as Europe? I heard somewhere that they are out of this world for salmon fishing. I wonder if you get other species there in abundance?

65ºN - just barely under the Arctic Circle. Most likely a little cool for most species of freshwater fish. Lots of glaciers and lakes that get glacier melt water.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Budgie,,i totally agree with what you say,although not on the germany stance!!,,i lived there for 5 years on and off through when i was in the forces,,either i just had a knack of picking poor venues or i WAS a crap angler!!!!! [no funny comments please],,so i"ll stand firm and say i still think that the UK has some of the best river fishing in europe,until i visit other places!!,,as for pike.100% sweden all the way for me,i"ve been lucky enough to visit more times than i can remember [relatives live over there],the place never fails to impress me,fantastic fishing,fantastic people,i must try the coarse fishing,if i do i"ll let you know the results..regards,

"Dont **** in the pool,and then tell me you"ve swallowed some water".