Help our North East Fishermen

John E Ashford

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This must be what Brian Carragher talked of a few weeks back.

Not a great deal of detail on th ban there John. I dont support banning the under 10m fleet for fishing at all. Infact I would support increses in their quotas for most if not all fishing- at the expense of the huge trawlers such as Shetlands Altaire. I would like to see more detail before I attach my name however to this petition.

I would add that there has been a distinc lack of Makerel so far in these parts this year. I know who I blame for that though.

Is the petition against the ban, or is it for the quota to be shared out different?

It really needs to be for the quota to be shared out differently and not for the ban to be lifted on an opportunistic basis, the Scottish fleet have already been banned since January due to overfishing.

The problem I see with re-assigning quotas is that the Scottish fleet is tremendously cost effective, contributing around 30% of fish revenue whilst only employing around 5% of the people - if they were to lose quota then they may no longer be cost efficient and some would go to the wall.

Although I am generally in agreement with allowing smaller boats to make a living, I don't see how they will convince the big boys to give up quota.

Guest challenge
It really needs to be for the quota to be shared out differently and not for the ban to be lifted on an opportunistic basis, the Scottish fleet have already been banned since January due to overfishing.

The problem I see with re-assigning quotas is that the Scottish fleet is tremendously cost effective, contributing around 30% of fish revenue whilst only employing around 5% of the people - if they were to lose quota then they may no longer be cost efficient and some would go to the wall.

Although I am generally in agreement with allowing smaller boats to make a living, I don't see how they will convince the big boys to give up quota.

Would the environmentalist not beg to differ on this one?

If a small but effective fishing fleet that can more or less catch the quota that is given to the fishing industry overnight. Then on an environmental footing this is surely to be more acceptable than larger less effective fleet spending months trying to catch the same amount of fish? No good for the commercial fishermen not involved but better for the environment? Bye the way, it won’t be any good for the mackerel involved, but then again it is the scientists who have advised the quota makers what can and cannot be caught.

Do your bit now, sign HERE.

I'm pleased to sign it John.

[Admin note: remainder of this post was removed. I have some startling news for you Mikec - you are NOT free to say anything you wish on this forum. Some language and some content will not be permitted.

Newt]

Would the environmentalist not beg to differ on this one?

If a small but effective fishing fleet that can more or less catch the quota that is given to the fishing industry overnight. Then on an environmental footing this is surely to be more acceptable than larger less effective fleet spending months trying to catch the same amount of fish? No good for the commercial fishermen not involved but better for the environment?

Don't really know what an environmentalists take on this would be.

Personally I don't know which creates the bigger ecological impact when considering the entire supply chain of fish catch to customer consumption but you may be right when you imply that the way forward is even bigger and more effective vessels, though I must admit I'd hate to be the guy with the mortgage if the fishery collapsed again.

From a personal point of view, I'd just sooner see some of the quota transferred, as glenk suggested, from such as the Altaire to the smaller guys.

Bye the way, it won’t be any good for the mackerel involved.......

True, but then again no form of fishing for them is.

I can understand some responses, and don't disagree with some reasons given.

Why I'm backing this call for help is that the reason comes from farther afield.

Please take time to see why I'm backing it, by reading HERE

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif