littler louts

markp

The trouble IMO is the yoof of today isnt punished in a meaningful way. Those caught graffiting should do 4 weeks of graffiti cleaning (bloody hard work I can tell you!).

How about those caught littering being sent for a week with a council crew to pick up litter.

Its a punishment but also teaches them why and gives them a sense of worth............well thats the idea anyway, but even if it doesnt work for em all its got to be better than slapping a fine on them which they either steal to pay or gets paid for em by mum and dad.

Great idea but i think you would end up with just as many adults as yoofs cleaning the streets......

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great idea but i think you would end up with just as many adults as yoofs cleaning the streets......

I don't think Phil was picking on kids necessarily - all age groups litter, but not many adults go in for graffiti. :)

Chesters, you're right that there are too many chiefs and not enough indians (is that non-pc?) these days, but even if the proportion of workers to managers was restored to pre-1979 levels, it still wouldn't be possible to stop people littering (although it might be cleaned up a bit more efficiently).

I don't see why it isn't possible to cut down the potential for littering a bit by limiting excessive packaging. In Irish supermarkets they now give you paper bags and cardboard boxes instead of plastic carrier bags, and it does seem to have made a difference.

I can't understand why people leave so much litter and mess, particularly anglers. Near me there is apond which I have been looking forward to fishing for some time so when I turned up one morning to find the path around it strewn with litter clearly left by the people who had been night fishing and who were actually still there, I was rather dismayed. There were scorch marks on the banks too where there had clearly been fires. I couldn't believe that they thought it was ok just to leave their rubbish lying in the path. It made the fact as to whether or not they took it home with them after their session a negligible one. I don't know whether it was left there or not as I decided to leave and go to Bury Hill instead, somewhere where people don't leave rubbish lying about the place and actually respect the place.

That's one thing the better commercials have done successfully. I fish two locally - one has a strict no litter rule (if litter is found at your peg, you're banned, even if it wasn't yours) and the other hasn't. The difference between the two is striking.

Terminal tackle from the major suppliers like ESP and Fox has got to be amongst the worst for excess packaging - everything is supplied on a card protected by moulded plastic, however small the item.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Packaging really is a big issue for me davy.......my BIG pet hate is easter eggs! I dont think they could think of a more stupid way to package a farty bit of chocolate.

Drinks are another one.....cardboard cartons instead of moulded plastic bottles would please me. Paper bags instead of plastic ones etc etc.

Ok it doesnt actually address the littering issue directly but it does mean that whats dropped wouldnt sit there for the next 10,000 years before decaying.

The trouble IMO is the yoof of today isnt punished in a meaningful way.

When I was a kid, something that infuriated me was the immediate pointing of the finger of blame at the junior members, whenever littering was raised. I pointed out in more than one club meeting that most of the kids in the club brought neither fag packets nor beer cans to the water with them.

Guest Brumagem Phil
When I was a kid, something that infuriated me was the immediate pointing of the finger of blame at the junior members, whenever littering was raised. I pointed out in more than one club meeting that most of the kids in the club brought neither fag packets nor beer cans to the water with them.

By yoof I'm talking about kids but the 16 to 25 year olds.

Not as much litter, but more discarded line where i go.

i find a bit on the ground, and find it going all over the place.

it's a miracle how the ducks are still there.

Luckily it hasn't been as bad since they put the new fencing around the venue.

IPB Image

Litter I can deal with because quite simply, there are di**heads in every group within society including angling.

What really winds me up are the people who pick up all their litter, put it in a carrier bag, tie the top up and then tie the bag to a tree or fence.

Do they think there are fairies that collect the bags ?

Maybe they think that a big yellow waste disposal truck hoists up it's skirts and steps over the styles so that it can collect their litter.

Really, how hard is it to take your cr@p home ?

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

It really makes me wonder just what these mindless morons get out of a day out on the riverbank.

Yep, me too.

I went through a stage of refusing to pick up litter left by inconsiderate b**tards but I'm back to picking up whatever I find now (within reason!). It doesn't make me feel good and I don't feel proud but at least I can leave the place spotless for the next person. Be they an angler or a non-angler.

I know that people will continue to drop litter but at least the swim will be clean for 5 minutes.

I would love it if all anglers could support each other and work together but sadly there are a lot of t**ts who call themselves anglers. We are not a community. We are a group of individuals. Some of us try desperately to protect nature whilst others have no respect for it.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.