SOS - tope consultation

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some content responding to uncle nester was removed since the original remark is also gone. Newt

Ian's record on conservation issues is second to none.

n4ally, good job all anglers arent negative and we have those who are prepared to stand up and argue the point otherwise we prodably wouldnt be fishing now.

• 2 weeks later...

Done.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

e-mail sent to them Ian :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Not bad going,got a response back off Defra the next day,and it was

Dear Mr Snatcher

Thank you for your e-mail of 30 August responding to our consultation on

management measures to protect tope stocks.

Your comment is appreciated and we will take it into account when we analyse

all the responses after the closing date on 20th October. We will write to

let you know the outcome of the consultation as soon as possible after the

consultation. Regards.

Vanessa Brown

Defra

31/08/2006

"Dear Mr Snatcher" it had me creased up :bigemo_harabe_net-163: I did actually supply my name and adress. Must have been tounge in cheek from Vanessa :)

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Nice to see Penn get involved

Dear Sirs,

I am the General Manager of Penn Trading Ltd, a subsidiary of Penn Fishing Tackle Mfg. Co., of Pennsylvania, USA.

We are responsible for the sales of Penn fishing tackle across the whole of Europe and beyond.

As one of the leading sea fishing tackle manufacturers in the world, we obviously have a keen and vested interest in the current consultation on the measures to protect Tope in UK waters.

We have carefully considered the options you have put forward, and from these options, only option 2 - "Only allow fishing for tope by rod and line but prohibit the retention, transhipment and landing of tope caught by any method" makes any sense for the future of the species, and indeed to assist in the recovery of this important shark.

However, we do see problems in limiting the options to exclude the foreign registered vessel problem - potentially, as is the same with all such consultations in the past, for example on Bass, the way has been left open for foreign vessels to come in to "sweep clean" the areas newly restricted to UK vessels.

This therefore makes any restrictions only a half measure, and we will continue to press for a full imposition of Option 2 covering vessels of ALL flags operating in the United Kingdom zone, not just the English zone - after all just because the recent commercial fishery proposal on Tope failed, nothing at present could stop a foreign vessel being used potentially by the same commercial venture, to do exactly what they promised - 300 sharks per week.

I would welcome your further comments and look forward to hearing the results of the consultations in due course.

Yours sincerely,

David Caulfield

General Manager

Penn Trading Ltd.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

I just got my reply from DEFRA.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• 3 weeks later...