From baitrunners to big pits

Lee Golding

Hi all!

Nice to be a new member on the forums :-D

I have some Wychwood Rogue Freespins. Nice reels, not quite Shimano baitrunners, but not far off in everyday use.

Its time I upgrade, and I'm considering some bigger pit type reels. But I don't know whether I'm keen on switching from baitrunner type mechanisms and those reels that you tighten the front drag after a run.

I'm worried about missing a take, during the time it takes to tighten the front drag to a suitable tension. Obviously the baitrunners just require a turn of the handle.

I'm looking at the Daiwa Emcast Evo 5500 Reels. I want to spend about £150 for 2 reels.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Lee.

Go here and spend less!!!!!

http://www.fishing-direct.com/home.php?cat=31

Daiwa Emcast Plus 5500 - £49.99 :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi all!

Nice to be a new member on the forums :-D

I have some Wychwood Rogue Freespins. Nice reels, not quite Shimano baitrunners, but not far off in everyday use.

Its time I upgrade, and I'm considering some bigger pit type reels. But I don't know whether I'm keen on switching from baitrunner type mechanisms and those reels that you tighten the front drag after a run.

I'm worried about missing a take, during the time it takes to tighten the front drag to a suitable tension. Obviously the baitrunners just require a turn of the handle.

I'm looking at the Daiwa Emcast Evo 5500 Reels. I want to spend about £150 for 2 reels.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Lee.

Try these :D

Shimano

Wychwood

Ultimate

Daiwa

With my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

Go here and spend less!!!!!

http://www.fishing-direct.com/home.php?cat=31

Daiwa Emcast Plus 5500 - £49.99 :)

Thanks but I'm looking for the Evo 5500. Best price so far:

http://www.climaxtackle.com/Merchant2/4.13...ode=DWEMEVO5500

So anyways, is it easy to get used to reels without baitrunner mechanisms? Probably a very silly question though! LOL.

Thanks,

Lee.

:)

So anyways, is it easy to get used to reels without baitrunner mechanisms? Probably a very silly question though! LOL.

Thanks,

Lee.

If you like fishing with baitrunners why not just get a couple of shimano 8000gte's? great reels a plently big for distance casting, if thats why your after big pits? Easily within your budget too.... :)

I personally have tried big pits (Okuma Axeons) but couldn't get top grips fishing without a baitrunner (trying to tighten up a front drag reel while the spool is melting off into the sunset isn't that easy...) :headhurt:

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

I have often wondered why we don't use 6500 size multipliers for carp fishing?

They always have had a bait runner facility, they cast like a dream; once you have mastered them and they have a great drag system.

But like the rest of the herd, I use Shimano Baitrunners and Daiwa Emblem Big Pits. :huh:

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks,

Lee.

not a problem mate all you do when you get a run is as you strike you just cup the spool in your hand gently and a quick twist on the front drag and your back in touch with the fish . this takes just a few seconds and is very easy to master. you could also buy the bait runner conversions but in my opinion they are a waste of money as you still have to cup the spool on the strike. hope this helps mate

I've had a number of big pit reels - with bait runner conversions. I had the emblems, then tournaments and now I've switched back to the shimano big pit bait runners. I never really liked the conversions and in most cases it made the clutch a lot worse, and the conversion was a pian to use. I'm glad I switched back and the reels are much nicer to use and the clutches very smooth.

As for multipliers - yep often suggested but no point. They cannot out cast fixed spool reels unless you go over 200 yards and that's not typical carp fishing territory ;) They also take a lot of getting used to and even with 6500's they are still fickle. And lastly you really need practice to avoid birdsnests casting at night. I've had enough sea fishing in daylight (with a 6500 and 7000) so stick to fixed spool reels would be a sensible suggestion.

Rob.