Where would you fish now?

unukwolf

well i now have ALOT of free time to go fishin..(ta boss cough cough) so went to one of my fav swims to find t tree fallen over half the river.

so my question is using past experiance where would u choose to be the most likely place to produce a half decent bag?

personally i would normally select the swim just oppisite the off flow just after the bridge. but now i think the fallen tree may produce the better bag, maybe i nice perch or two!

the measurements are depths

Posted Image

please leave your comments.

[ 22. February 2005, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: unukwolf ]

In general I like the location of your usual swims although unless there is some hidden feature wiht the one on the bank opposite where you show the tip of the fallen tree, I wonder why it produces.

Now I agree with what you are thinking about the tree. Upstream of it if there is significant flow and downstream of it if there is only a little flow. But close to it in either case and a wonderful place to rig a soft plastic weedless and fish right in the tree itself. Some of the lure anglers on here should be able to give you specifics on doing that.

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Id go for the tree and probably lose some tackle in it :D I think it was John Wilson once said that fish will take up station very shortly after a tree has fallen into the water.

when you think you know everything think again....

Food chain thing rob.i.

Trees are full of itty bitty insects that small fish like and the odd few larger insects that larger fish like.

They usually have to just eat the scarps that fall from tree to water but put a whole tree in and it's feast time.

Lots of excited little fish attract bigger fish.

I think the above serves to quick load the tree with fish and the ideal conditions for many species will keep a number of them there.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'm no river expert, but with how cold it is right now I'd start by putting a small feeder right in the deepest part of that 8-12ft hole!

Failing that a nice big lump of bread flake as close as you dare to the fallen tree to see if any chub are at home.

Mat

Mat

sorry mat, irish river, no chub lots of bream,perch,roach,rudd and the odd tench(more in the harbour behind the lock gates or in the slack! i did forget to mention its a fast flow which can drag a large feeder 20+feet from hitting the surface!

dont get me wrong using my usual swim and tactics will bag me some nice fish but i was wondering how others would approach this swim as a first timer to it.

Well, as noted, I would start with the tree and fish the upstream and then the downstream side.

On the basis that the water has man-made structures along the sides to prevent wash, I'd avoid a feature I'd otherwise like to try in the 'outside' of the curve downstream from the tree.

Pretty much the ones shown and in the order of the numbers if the flow were at least 1mph or more. note: the lack of #4 is lazy behavior on my part. I put one in by mistake and just deleted it after I'd already done #5.

Posted Image

[ 22. February 2005, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

Definitely behind the tree particularly if theres a bit of a flow on. If it was pushing really hard, then I'd be in the little pub on the other side of the bridge

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

argyll - downstream of the tree rather than upstream? Interesting. If the tree is large enough to partly obstruct flow all the way to the bottom of the stream I'd expect to have more luck just upstream of it.

Regional difference in fish from UK to US do you think?