Time for my first DSLR

Westie

Been thinking about this for sometime - at present I have a reasonably good point and shoot camera, but it is very limiting in terms of what I can do - want to be more creative in the shots I take and am looking for my first dslr.

Any views on the Sony Alpha 100? It looks like it would fit the bill - good entry level camera and a few features that might justify me buying it over the Canon 350d (plus the fact that my old 35mm camera is a Minolta, so the lenses I have for that would not be redundant).

I would like to try and limit the total bundle cost to about £750 inc. kit lens and a reasonable memory card of about 2-4gb.

I'm not aiming to go semi-professional, but want something that I can play and progress with.

Any tips/views much appreciated! :)

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Been thinking about this for sometime - at present I have a reasonably good point and shoot camera, but it is very limiting in terms of what I can do - want to be more creative in the shots I take and am looking for my first dslr.

Any views on the Sony Alpha 100? It looks like it would fit the bill - good entry level camera and a few features that might justify me buying it over the Canon 350d (plus the fact that my old 35mm camera is a Minolta, so the lenses I have for that would not be redundant).

I would like to try and limit the total bundle cost to about £750 inc. kit lens and a reasonable memory card of about 2-4gb.

I'm not aiming to go semi-professional, but want something that I can play and progress with.

Any tips/views much appreciated! :)

might be worth checking out the recent A100 review on DPreview:-

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/

certainly looks interesting. I have a sony point and shoot and the results are pretty good for a compact, so if that's anything to go by the DSLR should be great.......I love those old style dials on the A100 too!

Westie,

I've got a 300D you can look at. Might even let you touch it.

2 gig memory card cost me about £35.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Westie,

I've got a 300D you can look at. Might even let you touch it.

2 gig memory card cost me about £35.

Thought that was you, loitering outside my house, taking covert pictures. You dirty dog.

I wouldn't mind a butchers. I'll have to pop in to drink your beer. ^_^

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

For that price you should be able to find a good deal on a Canon 350D - and if you're converting from a 35mm SLR to digital you would find the 350D hard to beat IMO.

The only drawback is the amount of memory you need to handle 8 million pixels - but I think the quality makes up for this.

Our chief weapon is surprise

Thought that was you, loitering outside my house, taking covert pictures. You dirty dog.

I wouldn't mind a butchers. I'll have to pop in to drink your beer. ^_^

LOL You'll have to be quick. Village legend (well, my neighbour) says that there's never any cold beer here because it sinply doesn't get the time :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

If your thinking of getting a dslr go to a shop and have a play. I had decided on a pentax then used one and found its ergonomics didnt suit me, also tried the canon, but ended up wit h D70.