A bit of critisism where critisism's due.

Steve Coppolo

Point taken.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest muttley
I think some of you guys aught to no better, ganging up on sam the way you do is a little bit childish

the guy is very passionate about is hobby and thats it!

I dont know by saying he has anything to gain financialy from sea angling i dont think so do you sam? but there are a lot on here who run magazines or writes articles for them or are involved with the tackle trade or run charter boats etc etc or even have political aspirations, their opinions i take with a pinch of salt at times (for obvious reasons) and maybe sam does the same?

At the end of the day your gonna need people like sam and me for that matter and the thousands of other guys who occasionaly likes to drown the odd lugworm, because otherwise those that have put themselves forward are not going to have no one to represent.

I have said i appreciated the hard work that the few have done but lets say it as it is the bmp first proposal was a failure its as simple as that. and like any failure" in life, it attracts its fare amount of critism some polite and some not so polite..........

as above....say it as it is!!!

Guest toplessfishing

I have read about how they manage the striped bass fishery in the USA.

Wouldnt that be a very good model? They seem to catch most of the realy good fish in the autumn as we do/did. But the striper grom to 80lb.

The climate on the Hudson is similar so why couldnt the same work in Europe?

Guest toplessfishing

The fact is that at 40cm bass have not reproduced themselves, so it may as well of stayed at 36cm.

It is a total fudge on behalf of Mr Bradshaw and just proves that no minister is still prepared to stand up to commercial fishermen.

So with that kind of strength coming from the catching sector it was an up hill battle from day one.

The fact is that at 40cm bass have not reproduced themselves, so it may as well of stayed at 36cm.

It is a total fudge on behalf of Mr Bradshaw and just proves that no minister is still prepared to stand up to commercial fishermen.

So with that kind of strength coming from the catching sector it was an up hill battle from day one.

Or it was an uphill battle because the science just did not back the BMP case, yet the campaigners chose to fight the "battle" on so called conservation grounds.

If you really believe the commercials have that kind of clout (all in the kind of wacky constituencies that tend to vote LIb/dem , SNP and anything but labour ) then I think your wrong.

*65% of the Scottish fleet has gone under this government,

*old UK fishing grounds, like Rockall and Bill Baileys bank have been quietly exported into the no-mans land of unregulated fishing,

* we continue to pay into the coffers to export the Spainish trawler fleet down the coast of West Africa

*, we tolerate a hellish unregulated gill net fishery on our western shelf edge, in which spainish based boats leave gillnets in place for days while they steam home to land , because they have laid so many they cannot carry them. We have no idea of the damage they are doing and noone is monitoring it. Since a lot of the catch is slow growing deepwater sharks i think most of us can understand though.

*The EU has just made its latest fishing deal, from now to 2013, in which they have managed to overturn previous ideals, by including grants to refit boats with new engines. There are of course "provisions" to make sure such grants do not improve the catching power of such vessels ! :( Im sure Wurzel could explain any number of ways he could figure around the regs to do exactly that ;) Not that he will see any of the billions (and it is many billions) to try it out.

*The scots fishermen have just fought a big battle to retain the "Shetland box" (an area south of fair Isle known to contain a lot of immature fish). It was a close run thing ; won by one vote, despite the labour MP responsible for fighting it, failing to turn up to the vote due a byelection campaign.

Im amazed the BASS guys got as much as they did. I am angry that a stupid, minor (IMHO) issue like theirs got as far as it did.

Aye, your right, BB, is a waste of space. :(

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

To all those complaining and criticising.

You have all spent a great deal of time typing away here about how frustrated you are feeling towards whatever it is that you are frustrated/angry about. Why don't you spend the next 5 minutes venting your anger/frustration through typing a letter to Ben Bradshaw and displaying the same passionate feelings to him? I know that I have, and probably the same people that you have been dismissing as incompetent have as well.

Regards

Steve

I'm sorry to say Steve that I do not accept your point. Any critisisms I have made have been constructive and points raised, re: SWFSA, that I have felt angry about remain unexplained. I believe it has been members of this forum that have been calling for mass emails, phone calls, recommending scathing press releases etc. without either being asked or prodded into action.

To date I have most not definitely called anyone or any organisation incompetant on here, however a number of people including myself have pointed out flaws in how we see the BMP has laterly been handled. Surely if we are to progress onwards after yet another hollow victory for sea anglers then these comments are both relevent and important.

You recommend typing a letter to ben Bradshaw highlighting our feelings, I know this to have already been done by a number of members, 'off the hip' so to speak, with no constructive guidance from above.

Steve, if I may ask, which angling body do you represent?

Sharkbyte,

I share the exact same thoughts and feelings as yourself. However, mine are directed at the WFSA and not the pro-active members of the other organisations that have struggled tirelessly to not only persuade the officials that some form of action is required, but also to try and encourage enthusiasm from regular unaffiliated sea anglers.

I have to agree that BB may as well not have even bothered with his pathetic attempt to appease anglers with a 4 cm increase - this is no good to anyone least of all the bass stocks, and anglers should be relatively vocal (to the authorities) about this IMO . A 40cm MLS is only going to result in more discards without any benefits to the breeding stock. A possible increase in fishing effort may also be witnessed.

Re angling bodies; I am a member of SACN and BASS.