Building a website

I did notice, though, that even the simplest website on that directory had a bit more to it.

http://www.hurrans.co.uk/

I think that if you could get it done cheaply enough, just having a single page advert to link to would be worthwhile. I think Ken would need to look carefully at the business case for anything more complex.

How about something like this:

http://www.swindonlink.com/directory/

They seem to design and host very simple websites for local companies, such as this one:

http://www.swindonlink.com/crapper/index.html

http://www.swindonlink.com/shaw-chiropratic/index.html

These pages get a reasonable ranking in Google searches, so something similar might be enough for Ken's needs.

Not sure, to be honest. I guess there's some kind of setup fee and then an ongoing charge, but how much it costs to administer I don't know. I do know that a local garage sold one of its two sites a year ago, and swindon link did not update the contact page. Result was that we booked my wife's car in for an MOt at one garage and then dropped it off at another...

Thanks for all the info it has helped me to decide start up plan.

My main reason for starting the site is our name and telephone number pop up all over the place on local sites and Yell etc.

What I noticed was a number of these sites also list some companies web sites on a link which I felt gave them a greater opportunity to expand their business.

As I deal mainly with the office work and leave the selling/ day to day running of the business to Debbie I do have a reasonable amount of time and as you can see from some of my post on here I do need to occupy myself in a more useful way. :D

I use BT business broadband ( get the cost set against tax ) for £2.65p per month I can and have got a site, domain name (www.petalsgardencenter.com) with 120mb of space.

It allows you to import a site or construct one with their templates which to me seem fairly comprehensive and easy to use.

Over the past couple of days I have put to gether what I call a draft copy and whilst it looks pretty it is bloody boring :D

Todate I have a site template back ground which suits a garden center, have placed information about our range of products and services on the front page plus a picture of our koi pond which has attracted a lot of notice by visitors but the pic is very bland.

I can install a bit of video in its spot and my idea is to film the pond to day and put a small clip say 30 seconds on BUT so that it will repeat continuously with the noise (not to loud :D ) of the falling water to give the front page some life.

We are registered with BBC Gardeners World who list us as a garden center on their 10% discount scheme, do I have to get their permission to put a link on my page?

Last but not least is a forum ???? How do I set that up as todate I have found very little information.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Last but not least is a forum ???? How do I set that up as todate I have found very little information.

Try starting here phpbb, this is about the most popular free forum software.

You'll need to check that BT support it but they should ;)

Never set it up myself so not sure how complictaed it is (supposably not at all)

Ken I would think no one would object to having a link to their web site, from yours. As this is a free advert for their web based buisness.

The thing some object to, hot linking photos or articles from their site.

To expect to use others hard work, without asking permission, is asking for trouble, respect copywrite.

Good luck with your web site, I'm sure everything will come up smelling of roses in the end. :blink:

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

With regards to a link All ways best to ask ken, but it is not illegal to link to another site or picture within.

Forum - there are several free ones hosted external to your site. Google free forum and see what comes up. Proboards are basic but do the job Go to the proboard site and register for a free forum - you will see how easy they are to set up even if you have no intention of using them. You can also download some forums and run them on your own web space. PHBB springs to mind. However youll need php on your server and most isp webspace dont allow php. IMO stay well clear of bravehost. Unless your willing to pay them youll regret going anywhere near - as soon as I see the ads on their sites which cover the whole screen I just click straight off the site.

Edited by glennk